Wasko, Kertis

  • MA Bensh
    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 22, 2002
      Hello, I am tracing family history on my g-granmother, Anna Kertis. From another source, I gleaned that she was born 10/29/ 1881 in house #84 in Vranovske'Dhle, Slovakia. I am hoping that is correct as the 1920 census has her age as 35. She emigrated to US in 1904 according to 1930 census.

      My grandmother Marie Wasko was also born in Slovakia. I am assuming in the same town since my g-grandmother wanted to "go back to visit relatives" when she was pregnant. Marie Wasko was born 12/8/07.

      All I know of my g-grandfather is that his name was Joseph Wasko and he was born in Slovakia some time around the early 1880s. He emigrated to US in 1900 according the the 1930 census.

      How do I start finding out more with so little to go on? Family members have less info than I do! Thanks.

      Melissa

      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 22, 2002
        The further your census data is from the date of any event, the less
        likely it is to be accurate. I suspect the name "Wasco" may have been
        Americanized. I am looking for a family named "Welchko" but the "W"
        is not usually found in the area - it is probably a "V".

        I checked the names you gave through the Ellis Island site. I found a
        Jan Wasco but not for the year you cited. Similarly, there is an Anna
        Kertis who left the US in 1920 and returned about 1923 - but the ages
        don't match up exactly for either.

        Lastly, the Social Security Death Index shows only one Marie Wasco -
        from Southport, CT - but she was born 21 December 1909.

        Try to learn if they were married in the US or Slovakia, when, what
        type of church (RC, GC or other), and the women's maiden names. Also,
        were any likely to have come through NY rather than Canada, Boston,
        Philadelphia or Baltimore. Even an educated guess can help. What
        church did they marry in and when.

        Where were they buried? Check the cemetery office for those close by.
        I found a heretofore unknown great aunt when I checked ALL the names
        of the people buried immediately around my grandmother's grave with
        the cemetery office and crossed checked that info with the library's
        newspaper files dated around the burial dates.

        Sorry I can't help more.

      • Frank <frankur@att.net>
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 23, 2002

          > Hello, I am tracing family history on my g-granmother, Anna Kertis.
          From another source, I gleaned that she was born 10/29/ 1881 in house
          #84 in Vranovske'Dhle, Slovakia. I am hoping that is correct as the
          1920 census has her age as 35. She emigrated to US in 1904 according
          to 1930 census.

          > My grandmother Marie Wasko was also born in Slovakia. I am assuming
          in the same town since my g-grandmother wanted to "go back to visit
          relatives" when she was pregnant. Marie Wasko was born 12/8/07.

          > All I know of my g-grandfather is that his name was Joseph Wasko and
          he was born in Slovakia some time around the early 1880s. He
          emigrated to US in 1900 according the the 1930 census.

          > How do I start finding out more with so little to go on? Family
          members have less info than I do! Thanks.
          > Melissa

          In Hungarian and Slovak the letter V is pron. V.
          The letter W appears only in foreign names.
          In Polish the letter W is pron. V.
          In German the letter W is also pron. V.

          Some emigrants changed names after they arrived in the U.S.
          Although the surname could have been spelled Was^ko, I expect
          it was spelled Vas^ko (with Slovak diacritic letter s^ = sh)

          Vranovské Dhlé was located 215 miles ENE of Bratislava and about
          1 miles distant from Vranov nad Topl'ou in eastern Slovakia.
          (In Slovak, here dhlé probably meant long)

          The Slovakia telephone directory lists 7 surnames Kertis and 3
          surnames Vas^ko under Vranov nad Topl'ou (Sk) Vrannó (H)

          So, try looking in Ellis Island Records (EIR) under Vasko.

          Frank
        • MA Bensh
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 23, 2002
            Thanks. I've checked the Ellis Island site and found my g-grandmother (Anna Kertis) and 2 daughters coming in 1912 as Vasko. Haven't been able to find her first trip to US under that spelling. Am also trying Kertesz as I've been told by a recently found relative that there were alternative spellings of the name.

            Have yet to figure out anything about my g-grandfather, Joseph. Have tried Wasko, Vasko, Washko, etc. but will keep plugging away.

            Hadn't thought about church records, so I will try to get info from my mom to see if she recalls which church they may have attended.

            Again, thanks.

            Melissa

          • MA Bensh
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 23, 2002
              Wow, that explains alot. I've been pronouncing Wasko phonetically and just recently heard my mom pronounce it as 'Washko'. Now I know why.

              I have checked at Ellis Island and found my g-grandmother w/2 daughters arriving in 1912, but have yet to find her initial immigration. Been checking for Jospeh Wasko under various spellings, but no luck so far. Will keep trying.

              Also, thanks for the insight into the loacations for the town. Wasn't sure exactly where it was and the Ellis Island town was listed as Varanno, Hungary. Will have to check to see if they are anywhere near each other.

              Thanks again for your help. Gave me lots of new information.

              Melissa

              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 23, 2002
                I am new to the group today. The first emails I get are about the
                surname Wasko (Vasko). I also have Wasko in my line, I have just
                started researching this line, thankyou for mentioning the alternate
                spelling I am going to check Ellis Island with this spelling.
                The Wasko I am researching is:

                Ilona (Helen) Wasko
                Born Nov 18, 1894 in Ruski, Czechoslovakia
                Married Frank Havtur in Binghamton, NY (Frank was born in Poloni,
                Czechoslovakia). Second married to Selanich.

                Ilona parents names were Michael Wasko and Anna Mackoski. The parent
                info is taken from her death certificate, so it is not proven quite
                yet. Information was given by a daughter-in-law.

                Is there a map on line that would show village names? I would like to
                try and find where they were born.

                Thanks for the help
                Kathleen
              • grandliss@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
                  Kathleen:

                  If you go to the JewishGen site, (ShtetlSeeker), you can do a town search. It
                  will bring up a map where these villages are located.

                  Ruski is located 153.9 miles ESE of Prague.
                  Poloni is located 114.8 miles ESE of Prague.

                  SMLISS

                • Frank <frankur@att.net>
                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "keblack2 <kblack@i...>"
                    <kblack@i...> wrote:
                    > I am new to the group today. The first emails I get are about the
                    > surname Wasko (Vasko). I also have Wasko in my line, I have just
                    > started researching this line, thankyou for mentioning the alternate
                    > spelling I am going to check Ellis Island with this spelling.
                    > The Wasko I am researching is:
                    >
                    > Ilona (Helen) Wasko
                    > Born Nov 18, 1894 in Ruski, Czechoslovakia
                    > Married Frank Havtur in Binghamton, NY (Frank was born in Poloni,
                    > Czechoslovakia). Second married to Selanich.
                    >
                    > Ilona parents names were Michael Wasko and Anna Mackoski. The parent
                    > info is taken from her death certificate, so it is not proven quite
                    > yet. Information was given by a daughter-in-law.
                    >
                    > Is there a map on line that would show village names? I would like
                    > try and find where they were born.
                    >
                    > Thanks for the help
                    > Kathleen

                    Helen (E)
                    Ilona (H)
                    Helene (G)
                    Helena (Sk,Cz,P)

                    There was no country called Czechoslovakia until 1920.
                    Before WW I it was either Czech-Bohemia or Upper-Hungary (now
                    Slovakia)

                    Frank Havtur was from Pol'any which is located 224 miles east of
                    Bratislava and near Leles, Slovakia at the current Slovakia, Hungary,
                    Ukraine border.
                    Perhaps Ruski was Ruská which is located 9 miles distant from
                    Pol'any ?

                    Under which religious denomination was the marriage in Binghamton,
                    NY ?
                    Mackoski is a Polish surname.
                  • squinch42 <vpfezziwig@msn.com>
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
                      If you find where Ruski is located, and if its near Ulics, please
                      post the nearest towns for me. I have been seeking a "Russki,
                      Czechoslovakia" [as typed on a SS Application] for two years but
                      haven't found the George HRIB I'm seeking - (1889). Thanks.

                    • rcuster@erols.com
                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
                        The villages you're looking for, unfortunately, no longer exist. They were
                        two of seven villages which were depopulated in 1980 to make way for a dam
                        on the Cirocha River northeast of Snina in far northeastern Slovakia.

                        (Technically, some of these villages are still on the map, but nobody lives
                        there and most of the houses & churches are gone.)
                        A map showing Ruske: http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg102.html
                        Adjacent segment showing Velka Polana:
                        http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg113.html

                        Most of the former residents today live in Snina, Humenne, or some of the
                        other local Rusyn villages that still exist.

                        Their present official Slovak-language names are Ruske and Velka Polana.
                        They were in the old Austro-Hungarian county of Zemplen/Zemplyn. These
                        were entirely Rusyn-inhabited places. The natives called them Ruskyj and
                        Velyky Poljany respectively.

                        Hautur/Chautur/Chavtur is a surname indigenous to Velka Polana. The
                        current Greek Catholic bishop of Kosice, Slovakia is Bishop Milan Chautur,
                        and he was raised in Velka Polana.
                        http://www.ke.telecom.sk/fara/apoex/

                        Hrib/Hryb is a surname indigenous to Ruske.

                        And yes, these villages were not all that far from Ulic~.

                        More information on Rusyns:
                        www.carpatho-rusyn.org
                        www.carpathorusynsociety.org
                        etc.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 24, 2002
                          I forgot to mention--
                          Since you're dealing also with Binghamton, NY:

                          Most of the immigrants from Velka Polana/Velyky Poljany settled in
                          Binghamton NY and Scranton, Berwick, and McKees Rocks, PA. Also a number
                          of them went to South Fork and Portage, PA.

                          Lots of immigrants from Ruske/Rus'kyj settled in Binghamton, Scranton, and
                          Portage.

                          Good luck!
                          Rich Custer

                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
                            ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in Binghamton,
                            NY ?
                            Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

                            Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry Christmas.
                            Kathleen

                          • Frank <frankur@att.net>
                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 25, 2002
                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Scott & Kathleen Black"
                              <kblack@i...> wrote:

                              > ---Under which religious denomination was the marriage in
                              Binghamton,
                              > NY ?
                              > Her marriage information came off her naturalization papers. Her
                              obituary states she was a member of St. Michael's Greek Catholic
                              Church. They are both also buried in St. Michael's Cemetery.

                              > Thanks for the help with the towns, that was great! Merry
                              Christmas.
                              > Kathleen

                              Sorry.
                              Since the 2 villages no longer exist I gave you incorrect
                              locations.
                              Vel'ká Pol'ana (Sk) Nagypolany (H) was located 246 miles ENE
                              of Bratislava and Ruské (Sk) was located 3 miles distant.

                              The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers of
                              baptisms, marriages, and deaths (1825-1879) for Ruské (Sk), Slovakia;
                              formerly Ruszka, Zemplén megye (county), Hungary.
                              Also known as Oroszruszka (H) Rus'kyj (Rusyn)
                              Text in Latin.

                              film #
                              1793643

                              Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.
                              (You should be able to rent microfilm for about $3.50)

                              LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                              In Slovak the matriky (parish church records)
                              Krstení = Baptisms (Christenings)
                              Sobás^ení = Marriages
                              Zomrelí = Deaths

                              In Latin the matriky are titled matricula.
                              Matricula Baptisatorum = Baptism Records
                              Matricula Copulatorum = Marriage Records
                              Matricula Defunctorum = Death Records
                            • MA Bensh
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                                Kathleen -

                                Hi, would be great if we were researching the same familly. I have little info on my ggf. His name was Joseph Wasko and that he was born in "Austria" (probably around 1880-1890 and died before 1940. He lived in Bayonne, NJ, with his wife Anna and 4 kids.

                                If you come across a Joseph Wasko in your research, I'd appreciate it if you'd keep me in mind. I'll do the same with your info.

                                Hope you had a happy holiday.

                                Melissa

                                Message 15 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                                  Kathleen,

                                  Serendipity may be at work here. I have been looking for a George
                                  HRIB, who gave "RUSSKI" as his birth place on his SS application. To
                                  date, I have not found him in the LDS records, maybe because his
                                  indicated year of birth is not covered by the LDS RUSKE tapes. I
                                  now have a reason to get those tapes and search those years that are
                                  covered looking for other names. There may be a linkage between your
                                  WASKO and my HRIB. My guy was supposedly born in December 1889 to
                                  Andrew HRIB and Helen WASKO. When he arrived in the US, he and his
                                  uncle appear to have headed to a SW suburb of Pittsburgh around 1905
                                  but separated. By 1909, George is married in Cambria County. While I
                                  can't find him in the 1910 census, I know he lived with his growing
                                  family in both Portage and Patton, PA before moving to NJ.

                                  If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to
                                  contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I
                                  will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office
                                  reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a
                                  worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

                                • bemimitwo@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 26, 2002
                                    sorry i dont know any of these names and have just joined today also but
                                    have not listed any names yet i was just looking .

                                  • Scott & Kathleen Black
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                                      Melissa,
                                      I will keep you information handy and let you know what I come across.

                                      Kathleen

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                                        >If any of this seems to overlap your Wasko findings, feel free to contact me via email but I don't have much to share at this point. I will order the film cited by RCuster once the local LDS office reopens in January. If I find any Wasko's, I will send you a worksheet showing my WASKO findings.

                                        That would be great! Thanks for keeping me in mind. I will also let you know if I run across anything.

                                        Kathleen

                                      • MA Bensh
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Dec 27, 2002
                                          Thanks Kathleen!

                                          Melissa

                                        • MA Bensh
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                            Kathleen -

                                            Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                                            http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                                            Thought it might help you.

                                            Melissa

                                          • Scott & Kathleen Black
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 19, 2003
                                              Melissa,
                                              Thank you very much for remembering me. I have bookmarked the site.
                                              Kathleen
                                              Found some info on Wasko at this web address:

                                              http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=surnames.wasko

                                              Thought it might help you.

                                              Melissa

                                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor