Re: [S-R] surnames; BIZIK, DRABIK, MINARIK, SEDLACEK, GIER

  • Frank <frankur@att.net>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
      wrote:

      > Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo,
      Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
      > Donna

      In 12th and 13th century Europe there were settlements where
      all the inhabitants had the same surname based on their occupation.

      And as was usually the case with place name related surname bearers
      these surnames were not actually or just barely related.

      Miller (E) as in Miller (grain)
      Müller (G)
      Molnár (H)
      Milnar (Sl)(C)
      Mylnar (Sk)
      Mly'nar (Cz)
      Mlynarz (P)
      Malunininkas (Lith)
      M E' J| b H |/| K (Cyrillic)
      M ye l n ee k (Rus)

      -cik was probably a diminutive meaning quality of 'smallness'.
      Expect surname Mlinarcik means 'little miller'.

      Igló (H) Spis^ská Nová Ves (Sk)
      Interesting region.
      Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
      Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
      centuries.

      Many of the surname Mlinarcik who emigrated to the U.S. appear
      to be from Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) which is located 6 miles distant
      from Spis^ská Nová Ves.

      > "susansbky <susansbky@a...>" <susansbky@a...> wrote:searching for
      family names in slovakia. mainly in the area of horny
      > vadicov, radola, kotrcina-lucka. grandparents came to this country
      > in 1909. any information would help. thank you

    • Donna Lachney
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
        Greetings Frank,
        That is very interesting information you gave me, several things started me thinking too.
        When you said that Iglo was approx. 6miles from Lovac^a I would love to find out the exact town my family came from. All I have is 2 baptism papers from Iglo for both great grandparents. I am not for sure which town they actually lived in. I do figure it was Iglo, since their house numbers are there. I have much searching to do yet.
        Donna Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Majerscak
        "Frank <frankur@...>" <frankur@...> wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
        wrote:

        > Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo,
        Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
        > Donna

        In 12th and 13th century Europe there were settlements where
        all the inhabitants had the same surname based on their occupation.

        And as was usually the case with place name related surname bearers
        these surnames were not actually or just barely related.

        Miller (E) as in Miller (grain)
        M�ller (G)
        Moln�r (H)
        Milnar (Sl)(C)
        Mylnar (Sk)
        Mly'nar (Cz)
        Mlynarz (P)
        Malunininkas (Lith)
        M E' J| b H |/| K (Cyrillic)
        M ye l n ee k (Rus)

        -cik was probably a diminutive meaning quality of 'smallness'.
        Expect surname Mlinarcik means 'little miller'.

        Igl� (H) Spis^sk� Nov� Ves (Sk)
        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Many of the surname Mlinarcik who emigrated to the U.S. appear
        to be from Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) which is located 6 miles distant
        from Spis^sk� Nov� Ves.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2003
          --Hi,

          I can give you some help possibly regarding the Sedlaceks and the
          Americanized version of their name !-