Re: [S-R] surnames; BIZIK, DRABIK, MINARIK, SEDLACEK, GIER

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2002
      At 11:43 PM 12/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >searching for family names in slovakia. mainly in the area of horny
      >vadicov, radola, kotrcina-lucka. grandparents came to this country
      >in 1909. any information would help. thank you

      From the SK online directory:

      Júlia Bíziková Horný Vadicov
      Katarína Bíziková Horný Vadicov
      Anna Mináriková Horný Vadicov
      Božena Mináriková Horný Vadicov
      Ing. Miloš Minárik Horný Vadicov
      Ján Minárik Horný Vadicov
      Stanislav Minárik Horný Vadicov
      Stanislav Minárik Horný Vadicov

      Bohumil Bizik Radola

      Alena Drábiková Kotrciná Lúcka
      DRÁBIK JAROSLAV Kotrciná Lúcka
      Jozef Drábik Kotrciná Lúcka
      Pavol Drábik Kotrciná Lúcka

      Have you searched the Ellis Island database?

      John M.
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2002
        go to
        http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html
        i found Bizik in Radola and possibly you will find all of your searches.
        good luck
      • Donna Lachney
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2002
          Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo, Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
          Donna
          "susansbky <susansbky@...>" <susansbky@...> wrote:searching for family names in slovakia. mainly in the area of horny

          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo,
            Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
            > Donna

            In 12th and 13th century Europe there were settlements where
            all the inhabitants had the same surname based on their occupation.

            And as was usually the case with place name related surname bearers
            these surnames were not actually or just barely related.

            Miller (E) as in Miller (grain)
            Müller (G)
            Molnár (H)
            Milnar (Sl)(C)
            Mylnar (Sk)
            Mly'nar (Cz)
            Mlynarz (P)
            Malunininkas (Lith)
            M E' J| b H |/| K (Cyrillic)
            M ye l n ee k (Rus)

            -cik was probably a diminutive meaning quality of 'smallness'.
            Expect surname Mlinarcik means 'little miller'.

            Igló (H) Spis^ská Nová Ves (Sk)
            Interesting region.
            Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
            Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
            centuries.

            Many of the surname Mlinarcik who emigrated to the U.S. appear
            to be from Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) which is located 6 miles distant
            from Spis^ská Nová Ves.

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
              Greetings Frank,
              That is very interesting information you gave me, several things started me thinking too.
              When you said that Iglo was approx. 6miles from Lovac^a I would love to find out the exact town my family came from. All I have is 2 baptism papers from Iglo for both great grandparents. I am not for sure which town they actually lived in. I do figure it was Iglo, since their house numbers are there. I have much searching to do yet.
              Donna Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Majerscak
              "Frank <frankur@...>" <frankur@...> wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo,
              Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
              > Donna

              In 12th and 13th century Europe there were settlements where
              all the inhabitants had the same surname based on their occupation.

              And as was usually the case with place name related surname bearers
              these surnames were not actually or just barely related.

              Miller (E) as in Miller (grain)
              M�ller (G)
              Moln�r (H)
              Milnar (Sl)(C)
              Mylnar (Sk)
              Mly'nar (Cz)
              Mlynarz (P)
              Malunininkas (Lith)
              M E' J| b H |/| K (Cyrillic)
              M ye l n ee k (Rus)

              -cik was probably a diminutive meaning quality of 'smallness'.
              Expect surname Mlinarcik means 'little miller'.

              Igl� (H) Spis^sk� Nov� Ves (Sk)
              Interesting region.
              Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
              Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
              centuries.

              Many of the surname Mlinarcik who emigrated to the U.S. appear
              to be from Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) which is located 6 miles distant
              from Spis^sk� Nov� Ves.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 31, 2003
                --Hi,

                I can give you some help possibly regarding the Sedlaceks and the
                Americanized version of their name !-