surnames; BIZIK, DRABIK, MINARIK, SEDLACEK, GIER

  • susansbky <susansbky@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2002
      searching for family names in slovakia. mainly in the area of horny
      vadicov, radola, kotrcina-lucka. grandparents came to this country
      in 1909. any information would help. thank you
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2002
        At 11:43 PM 12/11/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >searching for family names in slovakia. mainly in the area of horny
        >vadicov, radola, kotrcina-lucka. grandparents came to this country
        >in 1909. any information would help. thank you

        From the SK online directory:

        Júlia Bíziková Horný Vadicov
        Katarína Bíziková Horný Vadicov
        Anna Mináriková Horný Vadicov
        Božena Mináriková Horný Vadicov
        Ing. Miloš Minárik Horný Vadicov
        Ján Minárik Horný Vadicov
        Stanislav Minárik Horný Vadicov
        Stanislav Minárik Horný Vadicov

        Bohumil Bizik Radola

        Alena Drábiková Kotrciná Lúcka
        DRÁBIK JAROSLAV Kotrciná Lúcka
        Jozef Drábik Kotrciná Lúcka
        Pavol Drábik Kotrciná Lúcka

        Have you searched the Ellis Island database?

        John M.
      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 11, 2002
          go to
          http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html
          i found Bizik in Radola and possibly you will find all of your searches.
          good luck
        • Donna Lachney
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2002
            Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo, Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
            Donna
            "susansbky <susansbky@...>" <susansbky@...> wrote:searching for family names in slovakia. mainly in the area of horny

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
              wrote:

              > Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo,
              Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
              > Donna

              In 12th and 13th century Europe there were settlements where
              all the inhabitants had the same surname based on their occupation.

              And as was usually the case with place name related surname bearers
              these surnames were not actually or just barely related.

              Miller (E) as in Miller (grain)
              Müller (G)
              Molnár (H)
              Milnar (Sl)(C)
              Mylnar (Sk)
              Mly'nar (Cz)
              Mlynarz (P)
              Malunininkas (Lith)
              M E' J| b H |/| K (Cyrillic)
              M ye l n ee k (Rus)

              -cik was probably a diminutive meaning quality of 'smallness'.
              Expect surname Mlinarcik means 'little miller'.

              Igló (H) Spis^ská Nová Ves (Sk)
              Interesting region.
              Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
              Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
              centuries.

              Many of the surname Mlinarcik who emigrated to the U.S. appear
              to be from Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) which is located 6 miles distant
              from Spis^ská Nová Ves.

              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2002
                Greetings Frank,
                That is very interesting information you gave me, several things started me thinking too.
                When you said that Iglo was approx. 6miles from Lovac^a I would love to find out the exact town my family came from. All I have is 2 baptism papers from Iglo for both great grandparents. I am not for sure which town they actually lived in. I do figure it was Iglo, since their house numbers are there. I have much searching to do yet.
                Donna Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Majerscak
                "Frank <frankur@...>" <frankur@...> wrote:--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Donna Lachney <lacsni@y...>
                wrote:

                > Hello, I have the name Mlinarcik in my family list from Iglo,
                Slovacia (now Spisska Nova Ves.) It is close to the spelling.
                > Donna

                In 12th and 13th century Europe there were settlements where
                all the inhabitants had the same surname based on their occupation.

                And as was usually the case with place name related surname bearers
                these surnames were not actually or just barely related.

                Miller (E) as in Miller (grain)
                M�ller (G)
                Moln�r (H)
                Milnar (Sl)(C)
                Mylnar (Sk)
                Mly'nar (Cz)
                Mlynarz (P)
                Malunininkas (Lith)
                M E' J| b H |/| K (Cyrillic)
                M ye l n ee k (Rus)

                -cik was probably a diminutive meaning quality of 'smallness'.
                Expect surname Mlinarcik means 'little miller'.

                Igl� (H) Spis^sk� Nov� Ves (Sk)
                Interesting region.
                Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
                Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
                centuries.

                Many of the surname Mlinarcik who emigrated to the U.S. appear
                to be from Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) which is located 6 miles distant
                from Spis^sk� Nov� Ves.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 31, 2003
                  --Hi,

                  I can give you some help possibly regarding the Sedlaceks and the
                  Americanized version of their name !-