Re: [S-R] Help with cities near Lesnica

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
      At 03:47 PM 12/3/2002 -0800, you wrote:

      >On baptism records from LDS film in Lesnica, I have found two cities that
      >I can't totally decipher. Gavel surname.
      >
      >1878 Roman Catholic church city of mother's origin appears Bujsocz,
      >Bufsicz.
      >
      >1878 Rom. Cath. city origin appears Scienko, Bufsicz.
      >
      >1895 Rom. Cath. father's city origin appears to be Kroszcienkomis (Latin
      >maybe) or Krosienko in another place. These are on Lesnica baptism records.
      >
      >I really enjoy reading all the info from this group and appreciate the
      >considerate help.

      I could find no towns with the spellings you give in Slovakia for the
      period 1773-1997 except for Lesnica which is close to the Polish
      border. There are 3 Lesnica in Poland. Kroscienko nad Dunajcem is across
      the border in Poland about 10 miles NW of Lesnica, SK. You might check a
      map of the Austrian province of Galicia for Bufsicz. I don't see it on the
      current map of Poland in the Kroscienko or in the Lesnica area.

      Try http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm and click on Szepes
      county and you will see Kroscienko on the Polish side of the border. I
      didn't see Bufsicz on this map. Also
      try: http://www.lemko.org/maps100/Pages/Pg120.html .

      John M.
    • Peter Pikna
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 8, 2002
        Patricia,
        I send you a snap from Lesnica

        On baptism records from LDS film in Lesnica, I have found two cities that I
        can't totally decipher. Gavel surname.

        1878 Roman Catholic church city of mother's origin appears Bujsocz,
        Bufsicz.

        1878 Rom. Cath. city origin appears Scienko, Bufsicz.

        1895 Rom. Cath. father's city origin appears to be Kroszcienkomis (Latin
        maybe) or Krosienko in another place. These are on Lesnica baptism records

        I really enjoy reading all the info from this group and appreciate the
        considerate help.

        Patricia

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • patricia gavel