Re: Jewish records

  • mpetzolt2@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
      Yes, it's a tricky question... and in my case I am finding in the
      Protestant records what I would consider to be German sounding (or in
      the modern world possibly Jewish faith) surnames in the family. Also,
      I'm finding marriages in one place, sometimes children in another, some
      marriages I am now finding in Presov, then children baptized in Sabinov
      or Bartfa. They seemed to move in a rather small circle of towns.

      I just thought that it would be worthwhile to look at the Jewish
      records, if not to find someone, to help me better understand the town
      and the people's occupations. I can't seem to find any book of history
      of Sabinov, I only have a book the mayor sent to me several years ago
      which is a picture book with a history of the town but in Slovak (3
      pages ), and photos of inside and outside of Catholic, Greek Catholic
      and Evangelical churches, but no synygogue. I'm just trying to better
      understand the history of the town and the region surrounding it, and
      can't find a thing, even on Amazon.com

      Maura

      Maura Petzolt mpetzolt2@...
      SHAMROCK ROOTS homepage

      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
    • squinch42
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        My local LDS office told me there had to be at least 10 Jewish men to
        form a synagogue in a vilage or town. Have you tried the JewGen site?
        It is supposed to identify places where a synagogue existed.