Re: [S-R] Jewish records - thoughts please

  • jdubelko@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      Maura,

      For what it's worth, when I was researching my Vrabely/Varady family from Bajor and Bujakov, it seemed that, for several generations in the 1800's, my male ancestors were Greek Catholic and my female ancestors Roman Catholics.

      Jim Dubelko
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
        Dear Maura,
        This is a tricky question.
        If you can not find them, what does that mean?
        Do you know they existed?
        If you have their birth, then you must know their parents, and according to
        names, you can see, if anyone was Jewish.
        However, if you are looking for a marriage of a known person, then it could
        have been just about anywhere.
        Now, you may find births of children in a town, but not marriage of the
        parents. In such case, this was probably not far away.
        In my experience, I do not recall a Catholic person to take Jewish religion.
        I do not hink, this was even possible. But, several Jews got baptized and
        became Catholic. However, surname almost always remained Jewish, so easy to
        spot.
        And, Jews never lived for hundreds of years in one place. They migrated very
        much, even long distances.
        If you are looking for the marriage, how do you know, they got married?
        Maybe they died in another place, or married much further away, in larger
        cities. I often find such marriages in lerger cities.
        Regards,
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
          Just a thought -- I have found two or three people with my surname who were
          evidently missing from local village records turning up in the big city
          (Kos~ice). Although they were Lutheran in the villages, with one family
          reverting to Catholicism for a generation, the city dwellers married as
          Greek Catholic.

          Maybe people who changed religion tended to leave town, or vice versa.

          On the other hand, it is possible that the original Vangor families were
          Rusyn and Greek Catholic. Perhaps the city people were some of the original
          stock.

          How about the idea of military marriages? Did any young men doing their
          army stint ever get married before their discharge? Where would such
          marriages be recorded?

          I think you can rule out the idea of conversions to Judaism. Speaking as
          one born of a Jewish mother and hence a Jew by rabbinical law, I can tell
          you that Jews are not traditionally interested in gaining converts, which
          would have been a dangerous practice in a Christian society. Not to mention
          their own prejudices against gentiles.