Re: [S-R] Re: Name meaning

  • Vladimir Bohinc
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2002
      Dear Terry,
      This story is so incredible, that I called a teacher in Parchovany, to see,
      if it is true.
      There are two cemeteries in Parchovany. Old and new. The old one was
      gradually abandoned and only the new one is being used.
      During WW2, when Germans were retreating, a Russian artillery was on the old
      cemetery, shooting at Germans in the hills, West of Parchovany. At one
      occasion, they made a mistake, and killed a lot of their own soldiers, who
      were put in a mass grave, and later transferred to Dargovsky priesmik, where
      the main Russian monument and grave is now.
      He knows nothing about any other mass grave.
      The iron crosses were usually taken by the locals, as I can see everywhere.
      They belonged to the graves, that have not been taken care of for a long
      time, like german ones for example.
      Please, consider, that the Germans did not have time, to make any grave
      transfers and that cast iron crosses are and were useles for them.
      There also was a Jewish cemetery, that has been changed into gardens with
      cottages.
      With best regards,
      Vladimir