Surnames

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 25 , Nov 11, 1999
      A couple more have fallen out of the trees in the Abov/Saris areas east of
      Kos~ice: Marton and Kuzsila. By the way, Demeter (which if phonetic would
      not sound much like the Greek goddess, or was it Roman -- the same one as
      Ceres, anyway) IS a good Hungarian surname, although rare in northern
      Slovakia in 1900.

      Andrea
    • johnkay@edgenet.net
      Message 2 of 25 , Mar 18, 2000
        Kozakiewicz, Gajdarik, Fedorcuk. Looking for any information on.

        johnkay@...
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 25 , Mar 19, 2000
          The surname Gajdar and the feminine version Gajdarová
          have appeared in the Slovak census (1990s), somewhere in
          Slovakia ?

          The Slovak diminutive form -ek or -ik indicates small size or
          state or quality like affix 'y' in English.

          Kozakiewicz is a Polish surname.
          Surname affix -owicz or -owycz means 'son of'.
          In Polish, Kozak or in Ukrainian, Kozák means a Cossack
          (light cavalryman)

          Perhaps, Fedorcuk was a Ruthenian (Carpatho-Ruysn) surname ?
          What was surname religion ?

          Fedor,Feodor (Theodore) -- from Russian meaning "God's gift."
          The surname Fedorcak also appears in Slovakia, as does Fedorchak.
        • Frank Kurchina

            Message 5 of 25 , Mar 19, 2000
              I am new at this. I am looking for the Koczelya, Bardzak, Bondura,
              and Pogash families. The Koczelya family came from Hnojni. That is
              all I know.

              Jo Ann
            • nancy hagen
              Message 6 of 25 , Oct 23, 2001
                Nature

                Researching : POLAKOVICS, SISSULAK, RUZICKA & KLEMPA. Would like to hear from others researching any of these names.
                Thanks.
                Blessings & Joy,
                Nancy
                mckayhagen@...

              • chaas622
                Message 7 of 25 , Mar 21, 2002
                  My family name is Csejka, which is a Hungarian variant spelling of
                  Cejka. I cannot find anyone related to me except the people I
                  already knew about, most of whom are deceased. Anyone looking for
                  this connection?
                • Gregory J. Kopchak
                  Message 8 of 25 , Mar 21, 2002
                    The Kolackov Project now has the Kolackov, Slovakia
                    Census for 1869 along with the Census of Livestock
                    on line.

                    They did a wonderful job on the project.

                    Links to both databases and the project are avialable
                    at http://www.iarelative.com/whatsnew.htm

                    Greg Kopchak
                    It's All Relative
                  • John M.
                    Message 9 of 25 , Mar 21, 2002
                      At 02:41 PM 3/21/02 +0000, you wrote:
                      >My family name is Csejka, which is a Hungarian variant spelling of
                      >Cejka. I cannot find anyone related to me except the people I
                      >already knew about, most of whom are deceased. Anyone looking for
                      >this connection?

                      There are 4 C^ejka (Chejka) listed in Kos^ice, 4 in Bratislava, 1 in
                      Trencin, 1 in Zilina.

                      http://www.zoznamst.sk/sk/index.html

                      John
                    • EMSCRS@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Mar 22, 2002
                        Thank you - I'll look iinto them. Mine came here in 1903, so finding
                        connections still in Europe is a long shot, as I doubt anyone would remember
                        them. Three generations of the family came at more or less the same time,
                        which makes me wonder if they even left anyone behind. Elizabeth
                      • edmaul
                        Message 11 of 25 , Mar 12, 2003
                          June 24, 1998 Susan Jozefek , Michigan

                          (Vrbovce)

                          My father, John Jozefek, had a brother, Martin Jozefek, and a sister, Anna Skok. Martin Jozefek's first wife's name was Anna Melicharek. She died. His second wife's name was Kristina Bedndrova (born Mareckova). married Martin Jozefek. She died also.

                          She was a widow when she

                          Martin Jozefek (who died about 1972) had 3 daughters: Anna Plesa, Susie Zona and Kristina Mareckova. Susie Zona and Kristina Mareckova are both deceased. Anna Plesa is presently in a Nursing Home in Massachusetts. Her daughter, Betty, who is married, lives there and can visit her at the Nursing Home. Anna Plesa has another daughter, Susie Plesa, who is Assistant Superintendent of a school in England.

                          Susie Zona had a daughter, Lillian, who is now deceased, and a son, John. They lived in Albany, New York.

                          Kristina Mareckova lived in Vrbovce. She died on August 4, 1997. Her children are as follows: Anna Melicharkova, Alzbeta Navratilova, Zuzana Hyzova and John Marecek.

                          Anna Melicharkova lives in Vrbovce with her husband Pavol Melicharek. Anna

                          Their Melicharkova has a daughter, Anna, who is married to Pavol Sukupcak. children are Miroslava and Radko.

                          Alzbeta Navratilova lives in Myjava with her husband, Juraj Navratil and their son, Peter Navratil.

                          She had two children with her first husband, Pavol Filus, as follows:

                          Danka Filusova who is married to Martin Tomes. They have 2 sons, Martin and Lubo s .

                          Pavol Filus who married Katarina. They have a son, Patrik.

                          Zuzana Hyzova lives with her husband, John Hyza. She has 2 sons: Paul Hyza (wife Monika) They do not have any children. John Hyza (wife Olga)

                          They have a daughter, Linda. They live in Vrbovce.

                          John Marecek lives near Vrbovce with his wife Lidka. They have 2 children living at home: a daughter, Lidka and a son, Jaroslav.

                          John Marecek also has a son, John Marecek, who is married to Vladimira. They have a son, John.

                          My father's sister, Anna Skok (who died in1970) had a daughter, Alzbeta

                          ~dslna. ~ne lives in Vrbovce with her daughter, Anna Zlochova and her husband,

                          Martin Zloch. Martin Zloch's mother passed away suddenly in October of 1997.

                          She was 70 years old.

                          Anna Zlochova has a daughter, Janka, who is married to Lubomir Havel. She is a teacher at the school in Vrbovce. They live in Vrbovce.

                          They have a 5 year old daughter, Lucinka.

                          Anna Zlochova has a son, Zdenko, who is married to Slavka Kadlecikova. He is a police Officer. They have a son, Martin, who is about 9 months old. They live in Nitra, Slovakia.

                          Ed, Pleasantville, New York

                        • Ed Maul
                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 19, 2003
                            Researching:

                            Filus, Jancar, Jozefek/Josefek, Nochta,

                            Places:
                            Vrbovce, Slovakia
                            Straznice, Moravia, Czech

                            Ed, Pleasntville, New York

                          • bucyrus92504
                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 24, 2003
                              Hello to All
                              I am new to the group but will help with what I may know. I am
                              researching surnames: Safigan, Macenko and Vuletic. I certainly would
                              appreciate any info and will direct questions to the group the more I
                              dive into the geneology of my Slovakian heritage. Thanks in advance
                              for your help. Virginia
                            • Frank
                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 24, 2003
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "bucyrus92504"
                                <bucyrus92504@y...> wrote:
                                > Hello to All
                                > I am new to the group but will help with what I may know. I am
                                > researching surnames: Safigan, Macenko and Vuletic. I certainly
                                would
                                > appreciate any info and will direct questions to the group the more
                                > dive into the geneology of my Slovakian heritage. Thanks in advance
                                > for your help. Virginia

                                Hello Virginia

                                Are you new to posting to other groups as well ?

                                your Slovakian heritage ?

                                What language(s) did your surnames speak and what was their religion ?

                                How are you ? English

                                Wie geht es Ihnen ? German

                                Hogy Van ? Hungarian

                                Ako sa más^ ? Slovak

                                Jak se máte ? Czech

                                Jak sie masz ? Polish

                                Kako ste ? Croatian/Slovene

                                159 surnames Vuletic' who emigrated to the US were from Croatia
                                (once part of former Yugoslavia)
                                They bore Croatian first names and Vuletic' is a Croatian
                                surname.

                                The surname Macenko was from Austria-Poland and Galicia, and
                                also Stráz^ske (Sk) O"rmezo" (H), Slovakia.

                                Perhaps Slovak or Ruthenian or Polish ethnicity ?

                                And the surname Safigan/Savigan/Safijan does not look very Slovak ?

                                Frank K
                              • Jean & Harry Helbrecht
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 30, 2004
                                  Dear Valdamir,
                                  Thank you, for your great offer. I have a surname puzzle that you that
                                  you may be able to help me clear up.
                                  Same family three surnames Czuna, Cuna, and Kuka
                                  Thank you
                                  regards
                                  Jean
                                • Vladimir Bohinc
                                  Message 16 of 25 , May 1 11:25 AM
                                    Dear Jean,
                                    Since we are by the names, my name is Vladimir , not Valdamir. It is not the same, how you spell a name.
                                    I checked, but none of the names you gave are there.
                                    Maybe Kuka is related to Kukan.
                                    Vladimir

                                    Thank you, for your great offer. I have a surname puzzle that you that
                                    you may be able to help me clear up.
                                    Same family three surnames Czuna, Cuna, and Kuka
                                    Thank you
                                    regards
                                    Jean

                                    http://www.eset.sk

                                  • Kelly
                                    Message 17 of 25 , May 2 10:22 AM
                                      Dear Vladimir,

                                      Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.

                                      Kelly Gyurkovits
                                    • n8de@thepoint.net
                                      Message 18 of 25 , May 2 2:18 PM
                                        Kelly,
                                        Surely your surname GYURKOVITS is related to my great-grandmother's
                                        surname of DURDOVIC .. in Hungarian it's GYORGYOVICS.
                                        Don Havlicek
                                        Connersville, IN

                                        > Dear Vladimir,
                                        >
                                        > Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.
                                        >
                                        > Kelly Gyurkovits

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      • GRETCHEN HERROCK
                                        Message 19 of 25 , May 2 2:32 PM
                                          Would that also be "Georgovich" or something of the sort in English? My
                                          grandfather was named Gyurka or "George"...just a thought.

                                          Surely your surname GYURKOVITS is related to my great-grandmother's
                                          surname of DURDOVIC .. in Hungarian it's GYORGYOVICS.
                                          Don Havlicek
                                          Connersville, IN

                                          > Dear Vladimir,
                                          >
                                          > Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.
                                          >
                                          > Kelly Gyurkovits

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                                          Message 20 of 25 , May 3 3:14 AM
                                            Dear Kelly,
                                            there are very many variations to this theme. They all have root in the slavic name Juraj, who is a synonim for spring.
                                            Vladimir

                                            Surely your surname GYURKOVITS is related to my great-grandmother's
                                            surname of DURDOVIC .. in Hungarian it's GYORGYOVICS.
                                            Don Havlicek
                                            Connersville, IN

                                            > Dear Vladimir,
                                            >
                                            > Do you have the surname Gyurkovics anywhere in your book.
                                            >
                                            > Kelly Gyurkovits

                                            > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                            http://www.eset.sk

                                          • Fran
                                            Message 21 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                                              searching for Surnames Kumer and Petyak
                                            • johnqadam
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Jan 14, 2007
                                                >>> searching for Surnames Kumer and Petyak <<<

                                                When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village
                                                is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally,
                                                so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also
                                                necessary to know the religion.
                                              • Paul Guzowski
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                                  Fran et al,
                                                  I'm new to this group, am no expert, and have only just started researching
                                                  my own heritage on my dad's side which is Polish. I have encountered some of
                                                  the same problems you have in trying to trace my roots. I am living and
                                                  working in Central/Eastern Europe for over five years now and have been in
                                                  Bratislava, Slovakia, since November 2005 so offer a couple of observations
                                                  that may be of assistance.
                                                  First, if you knew when your grandfather immigrated to the US it would be a
                                                  big help. The borders in this part of Europe changed drastically after WWI
                                                  with the June 1920 Treaty of Trianon, the treaty that dissolved the Kingdom
                                                  of Hungary of which present-day Slovakia was a part. You can find more
                                                  detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Trianon . The Czechs
                                                  declared their independence on 28 October 1918 and the Slovaks joined them
                                                  two days later forming the first Republic of Czechoslovakia. My reading of
                                                  Slovak history doesn't indicate much migration away from the family's
                                                  original seat during those days. However, it is entirely possible that
                                                  either or both of them originally came from what is the northern part of
                                                  modern-day Hungary or the eastern part of the modern Czech Republic (e.g.
                                                  Moravia).
                                                  Secondly, both family and given names can present a problem. My grandfather
                                                  changed his name from Franciszek to Frank to ease pronunciation for Americans
                                                  and to avoid highlighting himself. I found a table comparing English,
                                                  German, and Polish given names that helped me a lot here:
                                                  http://www.sggee.org/AlternateChristianNames.pdf. Maybe something similar
                                                  exists for Slovak given names. In any case, I'd be willing to wager a mug of
                                                  Zlaty Bazant beer that his given name was František, which is very common
                                                  here.
                                                  Family names can be problematic, too. Most Slavic languages differentiate
                                                  between male and female with an ending on the family name. For example, my
                                                  grandmother was Stanislawa Jasinska in Poland but in the US it became
                                                  Jasinski, just as it did for her mother. In Slovak, all female family names
                                                  (at least all that I have encountered) end in 'ova' hence your grandmother's
                                                  family name would have been Petyakova as would her mother's.
                                                  There are two other nuances to be aware of concerning names. First, while
                                                  Czech family names present no problem for Slovaks except for a few minor
                                                  differences in pronunciation due to slightly different alphabets, Hungarian
                                                  names are another story. For one thing, in Hungarian the family name is
                                                  given first followed by the given name. Also, there are some family names
                                                  (mostly stemming from trades like smith, tailor, etc) which exist in both
                                                  languages and are even pronounced the same but are spelled differently due to
                                                  the different alphabets. To add to the confusion, towns and cities in public
                                                  records could have different names or spellings depending on which country
                                                  they were a part of at the time. For example, Bratislava was Pressburg to
                                                  the Austrians and Pozsony to the Hungarians.
                                                  That said Petyak does sound Slavic to me, lots of Petyaks show up in PA when
                                                  doing a Google search, and lots of Slovaks emigrated to PA. Kumer sounds
                                                  German. Germans established the mining industry in central Slovakia so your
                                                  grandfather's heritage could have been German but I have also found reference
                                                  to it as a Slovene name in some genealogy resources.
                                                  In sum, knowing the precise date of your grandparents' arrival in the US and
                                                  their names in Slovak would probably help immensely in unraveling the
                                                  mystery. As a postscript, I'm reading a book now called "Polish Roots" by
                                                  Maryanne Chorzempa that has lots of great information about genealogy
                                                  research in this part of Europe, including some Slovak references. You may
                                                  want to see if your library has a copy. As I said, I'm no expert but hope
                                                  these few insights might help.

                                                  Good Luck!

                                                  Paul
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                                    Great comments Paul. Welcome to the group.
                                                    You've framed things very succinctly, I am sure your knowledge will help
                                                    others.
                                                    Thanks,

                                                    Bill

                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Jan 15, 2007
                                                      Dear Paul,
                                                      Slovak "ova"endings have officially been introduced after the WW1, because they were dictated by the Czechs. You can find them in church records before that time only sporadically.
                                                      Since I am Slovene, I would bet, Kumer is slovenian. I mean "that"Kumer. The surname is in any case.
                                                      Regards,
                                                      Vladimir

                                                      __________ Informacia od NOD32 1978 (20070114) __________

                                                      http://www.eset.sk