Re: New surname

  • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
      Demeter is the Latin form Dmitri, a very popular name in among Greek
      Catholics in Eastern Slovak. He is a Saint is one of the patron saints
      of the Military.

      "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
        Thanks, Mark. That makes sense. There are a lot of people with this
        surname further south into Hungary too, or were in 1900.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
          Demeter is also found among the Germans. You may want to check and see
          if there is a German connection also. You had many German villages in
          Spis & Saris prior to WWII.

          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
            Hmm. Maybe something will turn up that supports this. These are records of
            an evangelical church community, more or less Lutherans, and I have noticed
            other German names that go back to the mid-18th century, like
            Firman/Fuhrmann.