grandparents' names

  • RMH
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
      My mother's parents were from Saris and Spis, and my father's parents were
      from Zemplin.

      One thing they were in total agreement on, was that grandparents were
      called
      "dzeda" and "baba". Apparently this is the Spis dialect?

      Never heard anyone call him "old father" = "stary otec".

      Regina Rabatin Haring

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
        "dz" in east Slovakia is a pronunciation od a soft "d". I am from central
        Slovakia and I call my grand parents stary otec and dedko, and starka and
        babka
        Jano