1869 Census

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 42 , Nov 23, 2002
      I recently obtained copies of the 1869 census form for several of my
      Orlov relatives. My problem is I can't read either of the two
      languages. I suspect they are printed in both Hungarian and Cyrillic.
      Is anyone aware of an English language translation anywhere on the
      web
      providing the instructions and questions being asked? Thanks.
    • kolarikj
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 5, 2016

        I hope that someone who knows more can give a more positive answer.

        This is the information that I've found:

        According to JewishGen (http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Hungary/Census1869SzepesGaz.htm), "no data was available for the 13 cities with their own magistrates: Bela, Gnezda, Iglo, Leibicz, Lublo, Podolin, Poprad, Szepes-Olaszi, Szepes-Szombat, Szepes-Varalja, Golnicz, Kesmark, and Locse."

        Are you sure that your ancestor was from Iglo?  Our family stories said that my great-grandmother and her family were from Iglo, but it turns out that she was really from a nearby village and that village does appear in the 1869 census:
        Istvánfalu (Malá Štefanova)
        Slovakia Census, 1869; pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28478-4082-8 — FamilySearch.org

         Joan Kolárik