Name meaning

  • Kayne Jason
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 22, 2002
      Can anyone tell me where I can find out what a surname
      means? Also, does anyone know how I can get a birth
      certificate from Slovakia? Thanks

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Vladimir Bohinc
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 22, 2002
        For the name, ask the audience. For the certificate, you must give more
        details.
        Vladimir
        > Can anyone tell me where I can find out what a surname
        > means? Also, does anyone know how I can get a birth
        > certificate from Slovakia? Thanks

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 22, 2002
          At 04:23 PM 11/22/2002 -0800, you wrote:
          >Can anyone tell me where I can find out what a surname
          >means? Also, does anyone know how I can get a birth
          >certificate from Slovakia? Thanks

          You might try the surname on this list. I don't know of any site or book
          that deals specifically with Slovak surnames. You can obtain certified
          copies of birth, marriage and death certificates from Slovakia and you may
          be able to obtain the information you need from LDS microfilms of Slovak
          church registers. What time period are you interested in and what location
          in Slovakia are you interested in?

          John M.
        • Vladimir Bohinc
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 22, 2002
            Dear John M.
            I would just like to explain, what a certificate is.
            It is not a "copy" but always a new original document, issued on the base of
            either church or civil records, on request.
            I see, many people are looking for "certificates". This is not always
            correct, since certificates are not stored anywhere, and often people do not
            know either the date or the place.
            If somebody wants to obtain a certificate, then full name, date and place
            must be known.
            If this is not known, or proves to be wrong, then a research is needed
            first.
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            At 04:23 PM 11/22/2002 -0800, you wrote:
            >Can anyone tell me where I can find out what a surname
            >means? Also, does anyone know how I can get a birth
            >certificate from Slovakia? Thanks

            You might try the surname on this list. I don't know of any site or book
            that deals specifically with Slovak surnames. You can obtain certified
            copies of birth, marriage and death certificates from Slovakia and you may
            be able to obtain the information you need from LDS microfilms of Slovak
            church registers. What time period are you interested in and what location
            in Slovakia are you interested in?

            John M.

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 22, 2002
              At 06:59 AM 11/23/2002 +0100, you wrote:
              >Dear John M.
              >I would just like to explain, what a certificate is.
              >It is not a "copy" but always a new original document, issued on the base of
              >either church or civil records, on request.

              I understand that Vladimir. I used the incorrect terminology. By
              certified copy I meant that they copy the information from the church or
              civil registers onto a form, place a stamp on the form and imprint a seal
              on it.

              >I see, many people are looking for "certificates". This is not always
              >correct, since certificates are not stored anywhere, and often people do
              >not know either the date or the place. If somebody wants to obtain a
              >certificate, then full name, date and place must be known. If this is not
              >known, or proves to be wrong, then a research is needed first.

              We were successful in obtaining certified (stamp and seal) post 1895
              documents when visiting the Matricny Urads using just names and approximate
              dates. This may not be the case if done by mail since there is a chance
              that two or more people with the same given and surname might have lived
              during the same time period as you said. In that case you might have to
              provide more information. My maternal grandmother and another child with
              the same given and surname were born in the same week in 1861. You would
              have to provide the parents given names or other information to determine
              which child was the correct one. In many cases people are satisfied with
              obtaining the information from the LDS microfilms and are not interested in
              a certified document. Thanks.

              John M.
            • Terry L. Karkos
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 22, 2002
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Kayne Jason <kokoja14@y...> wrote:
                > Can anyone tell me where I can find out what a surname
                > means? Also, does anyone know how I can get a birth
                > certificate from Slovakia? Thanks

                > Yahoo! Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                > http://mailplus.yahoo.com

                For what a surname means, well, you might try:

                http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Eastern/

                or

                http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Eastern/Czech-
                Slovak/Surnames-Czechoslovakia.htm

                or

                http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/

                or

                http://feefhs.org/iar/slovakia.html

                or

                http://www.svu2000.org/whatwedo/c5gd1list8.htm (this one looks like a
                good one to start with first)

                or try and find these books:

                http://www.slavu.sav.sk/slavica_slovaca/slavica2000b.htm (incidently,
                the .pdf file on this site is 94 pages long and mostly written in
                Slovak; takes a while to download)

                Sometimes I get lucky plugging a surname into an English - Slovak -
                English dictionary online, but if you use the Slovak-English
                dictionary you have to have the Slovak word exact, complete with
                diacritic marks and not spelled like it's pronounced (as was done in
                many cases; of course, then there are the surnames where the people
                who had them, completely changed them into something else not even
                remotely close to their Slovak origin. In one instance, in my lineage
                are Topolosky's and some of them changed their name to Topping; but
                in the the old Slovak/Hungarian censuses, Topolosky is written
                Topolovsky).

                Racial persecution was pretty rampant in those days with Slovaks
                called Huns or Hunkys much to their dismay since they were trying to
                escape their Hungarian oppressors....

                Anyways, I just googled for the above urls by plugging in "Slovak
                surnames" into to-search-for box, but you could try "Slovak surname
                meanings." I suspect there are sites out there with meanings, it's
                just a matter of time to research and find them... Happy hunting....

                -- Terry Karkos

                http://www.exploremaine.com/~pikagnome/karkos.htm

                P.S. I just learned this week that my co-worker office manager is
                Slovak and her ancestors lived in the same Maine town mine did, and
                probably came from the same area in Zemplen county. And I've known
                her for three years and we've been good friends and now we might be
                cousins!! What a small world!
              • Terry L. Karkos
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 23, 2002
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Terry L. Karkos" <pikagnome@e...> wrote:
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Kayne Jason <kokoja14@y...> wrote:
                  > > Can anyone tell me where I can find out what a surname
                  > > means? Also, does anyone know how I can get a birth
                  > > certificate from Slovakia? Thanks

                  > > Yahoo! Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                  > > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  >
                  > For what a surname means, well, you might try:
                  >
                  > http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Eastern/
                  >
                  > or
                  >
                  > http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Eastern/Czech-
                  > Slovak/Surnames-Czechoslovakia.htm
                  >
                  > or
                  >
                  > http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/
                  >
                  > or
                  >
                  > http://feefhs.org/iar/slovakia.html
                  >
                  > or
                  >
                  > http://www.svu2000.org/whatwedo/c5gd1list8.htm (this one looks like
                  > good one to start with first)
                  >
                  > or try and find these books:
                  >
                  > http://www.slavu.sav.sk/slavica_slovaca/slavica2000b.htm
                  (incidently,
                  > the .pdf file on this site is 94 pages long and mostly written in
                  > Slovak; takes a while to download)
                  >
                  > Sometimes I get lucky plugging a surname into an English - Slovak -

                  > English dictionary online, but if you use the Slovak-English
                  > dictionary you have to have the Slovak word exact, complete with
                  > diacritic marks and not spelled like it's pronounced (as was done
                  in
                  > many cases; of course, then there are the surnames where the people
                  > who had them, completely changed them into something else not even
                  > remotely close to their Slovak origin. In one instance, in my
                  lineage
                  > are Topolosky's and some of them changed their name to Topping; but
                  > in the the old Slovak/Hungarian censuses, Topolosky is written
                  > Topolovsky).
                  >
                  > Racial persecution was pretty rampant in those days with Slovaks
                  > called Huns or Hunkys much to their dismay since they were trying
                  > escape their Hungarian oppressors....
                  >
                  > Anyways, I just googled for the above urls by plugging in "Slovak
                  > surnames" into to-search-for box, but you could try "Slovak surname
                  > meanings." I suspect there are sites out there with meanings, it's
                  > just a matter of time to research and find them... Happy hunting....
                  >
                  > -- Terry Karkos
                  >
                  > http://www.exploremaine.com/~pikagnome/karkos.htm
                  >
                  > P.S. I just learned this week that my co-worker office manager is
                  > Slovak and her ancestors lived in the same Maine town mine did, and
                  > probably came from the same area in Zemplen county. And I've known
                  > her for three years and we've been good friends and now we might be
                  > cousins!! What a small world!

                  These long urls tend to get parted:

                  http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Eastern/Czech-
                  Slovak/Surnames-Czechoslovakia.htm

                  If this doesn't work to make it so you can just click on it and go to
                  the site, copy the whole thing then paste it into the url Address
                  part of your browser (hit "enter" or "return" to go to it). Sorry
                  that didn't come out right in all the above urls.....
                • Kayne Jason
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 23, 2002

                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 23, 2002

                      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 23, 2002
                        For birth certificates in Slovakia, have you the name of the Parish of origin
                        for your ancestor from Spisska Nova Ves? you could try to write to them, in
                        Slovak, would be the best bet.
                        there is a genealogical society which will take your request and pass it to
                        the next available person to do. they look for the document and then send
                        you the price. after you send to them the money, they mail the documents to
                        you. i have their address and name somewhere in my files.
                        also, there are fine genealogists right here on the list. one or two are
                        located right in Slovakia.
                        Noreen
                      • John M,
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 23, 2002
                          At 06:54 AM 11/23/2002 -0800, you wrote:
                          > > > John M.
                          > > > I'm interested in 1864. Thanks
                          > > > I forgot to say Spisska Nova Ves. Thanks

                          From 1863 to 1913 Spisska Nova Ves was known as Iglo. The LDS has
                          microfilmed the Iglo church registers and you can get the number of the
                          film at:

                          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=topicdetails&subject=703204&subject_disp=Hungary,_Szepes,_Igl%c3%b3_-_Church_records&columns=*,180,0

                          The RC records are from 1626-1895 and the Evangelical (Lutheran I believe)
                          are from 1756-1895. Good luck.

                          John M.
                        • John M,
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 23, 2002
                            At 07:56 AM 11/23/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                            >Anyways, I just googled for the above urls by plugging in "Slovak
                            >surnames" into to-search-for box, but you could try "Slovak surname
                            >meanings." I suspect there are sites out there with meanings, it's
                            >just a matter of time to research and find them... Happy hunting....
                            >
                            >-- Terry Karkos
                            >
                            >http://www.exploremaine.com/~pikagnome/karkos.htm

                            Good set of URL's Terry. Thanks. Most will probably list the surnames but
                            give no definition. I believe the Czechs, Poles and possibly other Slavic
                            nations have books on the meaning of surnames and since they are Slavic,
                            they could probably be used to search for surnames. Some of the locations
                            you provided may also have the definition of surnames. I know the
                            definition of some of the most popular Czech and Slovenian surnames are
                            online. Perhaps Vladimir might know of a book that defines the etymology
                            of Slovak surnames. I'll have to search through the URL's again. My
                            parents were Rusyn. On my last try I think I found that my surname is
                            derived from the given name Matthew and translates to something like
                            Matthew the younger or Matthewson. I've seen it used as a given name in
                            church registers but very infrequently in the documents I've reviewed.

                            John M.
                          • Frank
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 24, 2002
> [...]
                              > >
                              > > -- Terry Karkos
                              > >
                              > > http://www.exploremaine.com/~pikagnome/karkos.htm
                              > >
                              > > P.S. I just learned this week that my co-worker office manager is
                              > > Slovak and her ancestors lived in the same Maine town mine did,
                              and
                              > > probably came from the same area in Zemplen county. And I've known
                              > > her for three years and we've been good friends and now we might
                              be
                              > > cousins!! What a small world!
                              >
                              > These long urls tend to get parted:
                              >
                              > http://www.gaminggeeks.org/Resources/KateMonk/Europe-Eastern/Czech-
                              > Slovak/Surnames-Czechoslovakia.htm
                              >
                              > If this doesn't work to make it so you can just click on it and go
                              > the site, copy the whole thing then paste it into the url Address
                              > part of your browser (hit "enter" or "return" to go to it). Sorry
                              > that didn't come out right in all the above urls.....

                              Unfortunately, there is a caveat.

                              Old Web sites authored by Kate Monk were removed from the WWW.
                              All her surname listings under various countries were suspect because
                              none of the sources were ever documentated.
                              She had taken various lists ranging from baby names to historical
                              names and just combined them into datebases.
                              Believe the Academy of St. Gabriel Library had issued a warning on the
                              Internet.

                              Kate Monk's Onomastikon, a very large collection of name lists from
                              many different cultures around the world, intended for gamers looking
                              for character names.
                              An enormous amount of research went into the construction of this
                              site, but the author chose to give no information on which names were
                              taken from which sources. Her sources are a hodge-podge of scholarly
                              tomes, baby-name books, and everything in between. The more focused
                              lists-- like those under Medieval English Names -- are better than
                              average, but can only be taken as a starting point. These can't be
                              trusted without independent verification.

                              This is a collection of names from around the world which was
                              initially intended to help provide character names for live
                              role-players. It includes short historical backgrounds, male and
                              female first names or personal names, and surnames or family names,
                              from many countries and periods.

                              Onomastics is the science of the study of origin and forms of proper
                              names of persons or places.
                              The author was not an expert in onomastics or history so would like to
                              apologise if any mistakes have been made. All names included were from
                              genuine sources to the best of her knowledge, but this was not an
                              academic study and should not be relied upon by re-enactment societies
                              which require specific dates and instances of occurrence for the names
                              they use.

                              There are no Dictionaries of Slovak surname meanings.
                              There are several Dictionary of Surnames in the $ 100 price range, but
                              they all seem to lack any Slovak surnames.

                              For example, you might find :

                              Jabl~on'ski Polish: topographic name of someone who lived by an apple
                              tree or apple orchard, or occupational name for a grower or seller of
                              apples, from Pol. jabl~on' apple tree + ski suffix of local surnames.

                              Var. : Jabl~nowski
                              Dims.: Jabl~owski; Jabl~onka
                              Cogn. : Russ.: Yablokov, Yablochkov, Yablochkin
                              Czech : Jablon(ec) Ger. : Jablonski, Gablonz
                              Jewish (Ashkenazic): Jablon(s), Jablin, Yablon, Jabloner, Yabloner,
                              Jablonsky, Yablonsky, Jablow, Yablokov, Yablokoff.
                              Patr. : Pol.: Jabl~onowicz, Jab~kiewicz (dim.)

                              I suppose one could add the Slovak surnames ; Jablonicka, Jablonicky',
                              Jablonka, Jablonovska, Jablonovsky, Jablonska, etc.
                              Since apple is alma, almás in Hungarian there would be no equiv.
                              Magyar surnames.

                              Now your surname Karkos^ was from Parchovany, Slovakia.

                              The LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1779-1895) for
                              Parchovany, Slovakia; formerly Párnó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
                              Text in Latin and Hungarian.

                              film #

                              1923151
                              1923152
                              1923153

                              EIR lists 14 surnames Karkos who emigrated to U.S. 1897-1911.
                              5 surnames were from Párnó (H), 5 were from Dons^iná (Sk) Dobsina (H)
                              and 2 were from Russian-Poland.

                              I remember story about a Andrássy coachman who eloped with the count's
                              (Gyula, Julius (E) 1823-1890, born in Kos^ice/Kassa.
                              Gyula had a son , but I don't know about a daughter.
                            • Terry L. Karkos
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 27, 2002
                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
> [...]
                                > Since apple is alma, almás in Hungarian there would be no equiv.
                                > Magyar surnames.
                                >
                                > Now your surname Karkos^ was from Parchovany, Slovakia.
                                >
                                > The LDS filmed the R.C. parish church records (1779-1895) for
                                > Parchovany, Slovakia; formerly Párnó, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
                                > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
                                >
                                > film #
                                >
                                > 1923151
                                > 1923152
                                > 1923153
                                >
                                > EIR lists 14 surnames Karkos who emigrated to U.S. 1897-1911.
                                > 5 surnames were from Párnó (H), 5 were from Dons^iná (Sk) Dobsina
                                (H)
                                > and 2 were from Russian-Poland.
                                >
                                > I remember story about a Andrássy coachman who eloped with the
                                count's
                                > (Gyula, Julius (E) 1823-1890, born in Kos^ice/Kassa.
                                > Gyula had a son , but I don't know about a daughter.

                                Thanks, Frank. I didn't know about the Kate Monk caveat, but being a
                                roleplayer should have realized it had something to do with that by
                                looking at the url. Duh.

                                Where did you hear the Andrassy coachman story from? My great
                                grandfather used to speak ill of Gyula Andrassy.

                                The Andrassy name is interesting from a history perspective:

                                http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Andrassy

                                as is the history of Slovakia (wonder how much Celtic blood Slovaks
                                have):

                                http://gbgm-umc.org/country_profiles/country_history.cfm?Id=146

                                And paragraphs 5 and 6 of:

                                http://www.hungary.com/corvinus/lib/wils/wils02.htm

                                explain why a lot of Slovaks began to emigrate to America.

                                My Karkos line comes from the brother of a brother and sister (Andrej
                                and Elizabeth) who were orphaned in Garany (Garan [diacritic \/ over
                                n]). Andrej was born in 1834 and his sister born in 1832. The sister
                                married an Andros Marczin and they lived in nearby Barancs (Baranc
                                [diacritic \/ over c]). Andrej went to Parno.

                                Just rambling....

                                Terry Karkos