hello, everyone!

  • slovakpride
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
      I hope that you are all doing well! I have three questions for my
      Slovak buddies....first of all, How would you pronounce "grandfather"
      and "grandmother" in Slovak? Lastly, how do Slovaks
      pronounce "Prague"? Thanks again for all of your help!

      Rosie
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 21, 2002
        At 04:17 AM 11/22/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >I hope that you are all doing well! I have three questions for my
        >Slovak buddies....first of all, How would you pronounce "grandfather"
        >and "grandmother" in Slovak? Lastly, how do Slovaks
        >pronounce "Prague"? Thanks again for all of your help!
        >
        >Rosie

        Prague is pronounced Pra-ha and written Praha. For family word pronunciations:

        http://www.slovakia-slovakia.com/heartofeurope/dictionary_family3.htm#

        Click on the red highlighted Slovak word and you will get a sound recording
        of the pronunciation.

        John
      • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 22, 2002
          Dear Rosie
          the pronounciation of grandfather: stary' otec - staree otec, dedko.
          Grandmother - stara' mama - staraa mama, babicka - babichka (as in chocolate).
          Prague - Praha (h as in Hotel)
          Hope it helps.
          Bets regards
          Sylvia
          slovakpride <rgarrison@...> wrote:I hope that you are all doing well! I have three questions for my
          Slovak buddies....first of all, How would you pronounce "grandfather"
          and "grandmother" in Slovak? Lastly, how do Slovaks
          pronounce "Prague"? Thanks again for all of your help!

          Rosie

        • mlthrush
          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 22, 2002
            Hi Rosie,

            We always called our grandmother Baba. Never knew my grandfather so
            can't help you there.

            Mary Lou

          • mkoschik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 24, 2002
              <PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define grandfather as stary otec. But
              I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo (dzeh-doh). Can someone explain
              the difference?
            • John M,
              Message 6 of 22 , Nov 24, 2002
                At 10:52 PM 11/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                ><PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define grandfather as stary
                >otec. But
                >I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo (dzeh-doh). Can someone explain
                >the difference?

                There are few dialects in in Slovakia. My parents were Rusnaks from what
                is now northeast Slovakia. About the only time I felt I could understand
                much of what was being said during a 1999 visit was when I was in what was
                S^aros^ or S^aris^ county in Upper Hungary. Where was your grandfather's
                village? Dzedo, pronounced as you show, was the word we used also but I
                believe we may have used stary otec also bur rarely. I believe Slovaks use
                dedko as well as stary otec. Baba (ba-bah) was the word we commonly used
                used for grandmother. Slovaks use babic^ka and stara mama.

                John M.
              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                  <PRE>Regarding calling your grandfather dzeh doh, it sounds like a little bit of
                  Polish influence. Polish name for grandfather is dziadek. grandmother is
                  babka.
                • JArmata@gsphdean.gsph.pitt.edu
                  Message 8 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                    Different parts of Slovakia just use different words for some things.
                    The same as in the US, where soft drinks are called soda in some places
                    and pop in others, or big sandwiches are grinders or heros or subs or
                    other things in different parts of the country.

                    Joe

                    > <PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define grandfather as stary otec. But
                    > I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo (dzeh-doh). Can someone explain
                    > the difference?

                  • Jano Caco
                    Message 9 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                      -dedo (pronunciation of the first "d" is soft) is more an old man when
                      translated literally. It is used to refer to grandfather as well as to an
                      old man (a friendly name for an older friend, colleague or a grey haired
                      friend...)

                      -dedko a diminutive of dedo. This one is only used to a grandfather

                      -dedusko is even softer form of the same, however, now used mostly in fairy
                      tales to say that the old man is wise and good, and you live him much

                      - stary otec can be translated as a grand father

                      - starky is a familiar form of the above

                      - starecek is the same but used in one part of Slovakia only - Zahorie. I
                      learnt this one just two years ago since my wife comes from the region. And
                      I live in Slovakia. Therefore I believe there is a lot of other ways how to
                      refer to a grand father, many of them locally limited.

                      best Jano

                      Different parts of Slovakia just use different words for some things.
                      The same as in the US, where soft drinks are called soda in some places
                      and pop in others, or big sandwiches are grinders or heros or subs or
                      other things in different parts of the country.

                      Joe

                      > <PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define grandfather as stary
                      otec. But
                      > I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo (dzeh-doh). Can someone explain
                      > the difference?

                    • kevin zawrazk
                      Message 10 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                        Hi John,

                        You said your parents are Rusnaks from northeast
                        Slovakia, do you know of a Susan Rusnak born on
                        01-March-1891?

                        Kevin
                        --- "John M," <jmatsko4@...> wrote:
                        > At 10:52 PM 11/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                        > ><PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define
                        > grandfather as stary
                        > >otec. But
                        > >I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo
                        > (dzeh-doh). Can someone explain
                        > >the difference?
                        >
                        > There are few dialects in in Slovakia. My parents
                        > were Rusnaks from what
                        > is now northeast Slovakia. About the only time I
                        > felt I could understand
                        > much of what was being said during a 1999 visit was
                        > when I was in what was
                        > S^aros^ or S^aris^ county in Upper Hungary. Where
                        > was your grandfather's
                        > village? Dzedo, pronounced as you show, was the
                        > word we used also but I
                        > believe we may have used stary otec also bur rarely.
                        > I believe Slovaks use
                        > dedko as well as stary otec. Baba (ba-bah) was the
                        > word we commonly used
                        > used for grandmother. Slovaks use babic^ka and
                        > stara mama.
                        >
                        > John M.

                        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                      • Frank
                        Message 11 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., mkoschik@a... wrote:
                          > <PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define grandfather as
                          stary otec. But
                          > I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo (dzeh-doh). Can someone
                          explain
                          > the difference?

                          A few more terms beyond dedko, stary' otec.

                          starec - greybeard
                          starecky' - senile

                          dedus^ko - grandad
                          dedus^ko a babic^ka - grandparents
                          pradedko - great-grandfather
                          prapradedko - g.great-grandfather
                          prabababka - great-grandmother
                          praprababka - g.great-grandmother
                          dedo Mráz - Santa Claus

                          In modern day Slovak, babka really means granny or grandma. Baba is a
                          derogatory expression (for a woman) and stará baba (for an old one)
                        • Terry L. Karkos
                          Message 12 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., JArmata@g... wrote:
                            > Different parts of Slovakia just use different words for some
                            things.
                            > The same as in the US, where soft drinks are called soda in some
                            places
                            > and pop in others, or big sandwiches are grinders or heros or subs
                            or
                            > other things in different parts of the country.
                            >
                            > Joe
                            >

                            > > <PRE>Both of my Slovak-English dictionaries define grandfather as
                            stary otec. But
                            > > I was taught to call my grandfather dzedo (dzeh-doh). Can
                            someone explain
                            > > the difference?

                            I was taught to call my grandfather "Bumpa" and my grandmother "Nana"
                            but I don't know if that's a Maine thing or something related to my
                            Slovak ancestry. In my Slovak-English textbook, grandmother is:
                            babicka (with a \/ diacritical mark over the c), grand-dad is:
                            dedko, grandfather is: stary otec (with an accent mark over the y).

                            (Incidently, according to my Hungarian-English dictionary,
                            grandmother is: nagyanya, and grandfather is: nagyapa.)

                            -- Terry Karkos
                          • mkoschik@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                              Rosie's original question about the Slovak words for grandfather and
                              grandmother has really stimulated some interesting responses. I've heard
                              definitions I never knew existed. I don't argue with any of the comments or
                              definitions that have come in; I find this whole exercise quite informative
                              and I appreciate the new knowledge.
                              My ancestors and relatives are from Trebisov and its immediate surroundings,
                              in southeastern Slovakia about 30 km from the Hungarian border. My parents
                              came to the US in the 1930s and I grew up speaking Slovak with them. In my
                              family, grandfather and grandmother were called dzedo and baba. This tracks
                              with Regina's email and, if my geography is correct, Trebisov is in Zemplin
                              where her father came from, so this may be local dialect. Just like Regina,
                              I'd never heard the phrases stary otec and stara mama until finding them in
                              the dictionary after the responses began coming in to Rosie's questions.
                              I was in Slovakia in September and my relatives still used dzedo and baba.
                              Again, I'm not arguing with anyone, I just find all this very interesting.
                              In another vein, we always called and uncle and aunt baci (bah-chi) and nina.
                              Again, my Slovak-English dictionary gives different definitions.
                              I acknowledge what Joe said about different words being used in different
                              places when describing the same thing, but I wonder why the definitions of
                              g-father and g-mother that I learned aren't included in the dictionary.
                              You'll agree, I'm sure, that US dictionaries carry both pop and soda as
                              definitions of soft drinks.
                              One last thing: in the neighborhood where I grew up (in Pittsburgh) a
                              derogatory term for an old woman was stara baba, but for a man it was stary
                              baci (uncle). Interesting!
                            • squinch42
                              Message 14 of 22 , Nov 25, 2002
                                My grandfather on my mother's side moved from Trebisov to
                                Hazelton/Oneida, PA sometime in the late 1800's. I haven't traced him
                                yet as I have most of the family tree on his side thanks to a
                                cousin's work over 20 years ago. My question is this: "What was the
                                approximate split in Trebisov between Rusyns, Slovaks and Hungarians
                                between 1885 and 1900" My grandfather's name was spelled CSINTALA and
                                CHINTALA on various documents. I have been told the former spelling
                                is more likely to be Hungarian and RC but all the other family
                                appears to be Rusyn and GC. Do you have any thoughts or comments on
                                that? Thanks for the commentary.
                              • Frank
                                Message 15 of 22 , Nov 26, 2002
                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
                                  > My grandfather on my mother's side moved from Trebisov to
                                  > Hazelton/Oneida, PA sometime in the late 1800's. I haven't traced
                                  him
                                  > yet as I have most of the family tree on his side thanks to a
                                  > cousin's work over 20 years ago. My question is this: "What was the
                                  > approximate split in Trebisov between Rusyns, Slovaks and Hungarians
                                  > between 1885 and 1900" My grandfather's name was spelled CSINTALA
                                  and
                                  > CHINTALA on various documents. I have been told the former spelling
                                  > is more likely to be Hungarian and RC but all the other family
                                  > appears to be Rusyn and GC. Do you have any thoughts or comments on
                                  > that? Thanks for the commentary.

                                  Some Carpath-Rusyn researcher will have to give you the ethnicity
                                  split in Trebis^ov.

                                  Hazelton PA was located in Luzerne CO PA.
                                  Oneida PA was located in Schuylkill CO PA.

                                  Was your maternal GF a coal miner ?
                                  This was the hard (anthracite) coal mining region in NE PA.

                                  If late 1800's the emigrant's surname would have been spelled
                                  Hungarian style, Csintala.
                                  Letter Cs was equivalent to Slovak diacritic letter C^ = Ch.

                                  Between 1892-1922 , 17 surnames Csintala emigrated to U.S. via
                                  Ellis Island (NYC)
                                  7 surname bearers were from To"keterebes (H) Trebis^ov (Sk)
                                  What was GF's first name ?

                                  LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1704-1895) for
                                  Trebis^ov, Slovakia; formerly Toketerebes, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
                                  Includes indexes.
                                  Text in Latin and Hungarian.

                                  LDS-Mormons also filmed its G.C. parish church records
                                  Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.

                                  births 1775-1913
                                  marriages 1777-1924
                                  deaths 1775-1915
                                • squinch42
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Nov 26, 2002
                                    George Csintala was born in Trebisov circa 1875 and became a coal
                                    miner sometime in the 1890's. Since there were several job steps
                                    before one could be deemed a "miner", we figure he was in the area
                                    for a few years. My grandmother didn't arrive in PA until 1897 and
                                    they married the following year. We only know he was here before she
                                    left Malcov.

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
                                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
                                    > > My grandfather on my mother's side moved from Trebisov to
                                    > > Hazelton/Oneida, PA sometime in the late 1800's. I haven't traced
                                    > him
                                    > > yet as I have most of the family tree on his side thanks to a
                                    > > cousin's work over 20 years ago. My question is this: "What was
                                    the
                                    > > approximate split in Trebisov between Rusyns, Slovaks and
                                    Hungarians
                                    > > between 1885 and 1900" My grandfather's name was spelled CSINTALA
                                    > and
                                    > > CHINTALA on various documents. I have been told the former
                                    spelling
                                    > > is more likely to be Hungarian and RC but all the other family
                                    > > appears to be Rusyn and GC. Do you have any thoughts or comments
                                    on
                                    > > that? Thanks for the commentary.
                                    >
                                    > Some Carpath-Rusyn researcher will have to give you the ethnicity
                                    > split in Trebis^ov.
                                    >
                                    > Hazelton PA was located in Luzerne CO PA.
                                    > Oneida PA was located in Schuylkill CO PA.
                                    >
                                    > Was your maternal GF a coal miner ?
                                    > This was the hard (anthracite) coal mining region in NE PA.
                                    >
                                    > If late 1800's the emigrant's surname would have been spelled
                                    > Hungarian style, Csintala.
                                    > Letter Cs was equivalent to Slovak diacritic letter C^ = Ch.
                                    >

                                    > Between 1892-1922 , 17 surnames Csintala emigrated to U.S. via
                                    > Ellis Island (NYC)
                                    > 7 surname bearers were from To"keterebes (H) Trebis^ov (Sk)
                                    > What was GF's first name ?
                                    >

                                    > LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1704-1895) for
                                    > Trebis^ov, Slovakia; formerly Toketerebes, Zemplén megye, Hungary.
                                    > Includes indexes.
                                    > Text in Latin and Hungarian.
                                    >
                                    > LDS-Mormons also filmed its G.C. parish church records
                                    > Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
                                    >
                                    > births 1775-1913
                                    > marriages 1777-1924
                                    > deaths 1775-1915
                                  • Frank
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Nov 26, 2002
                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
                                      > George Csintala was born in Trebisov circa 1875 and became a coal
                                      > miner sometime in the 1890's. Since there were several job steps
                                      > before one could be deemed a "miner", we figure he was in the area
                                      > for a few years. My grandmother didn't arrive in PA until 1897 and
                                      > they married the following year. We only know he was here before she
                                      > left Malcov.

                                      An Anna Csintala was born in Trebis^ov in 1879.
                                      In 1893 she was living in Oneida PA.
                                      She married a Stefan Liptak in Shepton PA in 1896.
                                      Her father's name was also George György (H) Juraj (Sk) Csintala.

                                      Some surnames Csintala also emigrated from Hernádcsány (H)
                                      C^an^a (Sk) located in the Kos^ice (Sk) Kassa (H) area
                                      in 1913.

                                      Malcov is located west of Bardejov.
                                      G.C. parish church records (1769-1895) exist for Malcov.

                                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~paschuyl/schuylki.htm

                                      http://www.rootsweb.com/~paluzern/index2.htm

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Nov 26, 2002
                                        A large dictionary ought to include both dedo (the standard spelling of
                                        "dzedo" - "de" is pronounced "dze" in some Slovak dialects) and baba.
                                        If you have a smaller dictionary, it probably only had room for words
                                        used in standard Slovak.

                                        Joe

                                        > I was in Slovakia in September and my relatives still used dzedo and baba.

                                        > I acknowledge what Joe said about different words being used in different
                                        > places when describing the same thing, but I wonder why the definitions of
                                        > g-father and g-mother that I learned aren't included in the dictionary.
                                        > You'll agree, I'm sure, that US dictionaries carry both pop and soda as
                                        > definitions of soft drinks.
                                      • squinch42
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Nov 26, 2002
                                          Thanks for the info. I have to ask, how did you find that Anna lived
                                          in Oneida and in 1893? The town was (and still is) too small for a
                                          city directory. I was there in March and had a hard time just
                                          finding the cemetery where my grandfather was buried. It was near the
                                          woods in a small cemetery in Sheppton.

                                        • Terry L. Karkos
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Nov 26, 2002
                                            Hi. In the 1869 Hun Census for Parchovany (Parno, Pachoviany), LDS
                                            Microfilm #0722764-08809 (I had to get it through short term loan
                                            from Utah through a nearby Family History Center Library), there are
                                            several Csintala females, but the first male doesn't show up until
                                            page 185, a Janos Csintala, born 1850. He is with the listing for
                                            Erzi Csintala, born 1816, a widow; an Andrej Fiska, born 1836, an
                                            Erzi Csintala, born 1838, a Maria Csintala, born 1859, and a Trurzi
                                            (Terezia) Csintala, born 1865.

                                            Not sure where all the male Csintala's went, but there is a female on
                                            page 300 who was born in 1840 in what looks like Bosnijcza, Zempl.,
                                            which could be Bozcica, Zemplen (a nearby village just northeast of
                                            Parno and across the river). Her husband was Andras Szatak, born 1838
                                            in Parno, there are two children here, both females, and a grandmother

                                            Csintala is the Hungarian spelling; "cs" is pronounced as "tch"
                                            in "catch"; there is a word in my Hungarian dictionary Csintalan
                                            which means untidy, naughty, wanton, or rompish, but whether the
                                            surname was derived from this or not I don't know.

                                            Terry Karkos

                                          • Frank
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Nov 27, 2002
                                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
                                              > Thanks for the info. I have to ask, how did you find that Anna lived
                                              > in Oneida and in 1893? The town was (and still is) too small for a
                                              > city directory. I was there in March and had a hard time just
                                              > finding the cemetery where my grandfather was buried. It was near
                                              the
                                              > woods in a small cemetery in Sheppton.

                                              ahoj,

                                              Later, Stefan Liptak ( b. S^aris^ské Sokolovce (Sk) Totselymes (H)
                                              in 1875) and Anna Liptak née Csintala had moved to the Clifton, NJ
                                              area.

                                              Stefan Liptak's great-grandson Charles Liptak B_ was looking for
                                              these surnames five years ago.
                                              Since then had replied to 200,000 + surname queries.

                                              Also spent a year at a regional NARA, researching Slavic coal miners
                                              from U.S. Census enumeration microfilms from anthracite coal-mining
                                              region in NE PA and the bituminous coal-mining region in SW PA.
                                              (There was no 1890 U.S. Census because it was destroyed in a fire,
                                              so the 1900 U.S. Census was the next available one)

                                              (I last visited Slovakia in 1946)

                                            • squinch42
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Nov 27, 2002
                                                Thanks. I knew Charles had started before me but another cousin had
                                                researched our family roots back in the 1970-85 period. I doubt if
                                                Charles knew that before last year. She even put a book together
                                                listing all the relatives scattered around the US as well as their
                                                addresses. During her trips to Slovakia she visited Trebisov and
                                                Sarisske Sokolvce meeting with church and civic folk to gather data.
                                                (She knew the language quite well.) As I recall, she only was able to
                                                locate two distant relatives during her last visit.

                                                Since I have the Csintala family tree (maternal grandfather) covering
                                                six gereations, I have been concentrating on my maternal
                                                grandmother's
                                                line and on my father's lines. So far, I have pieces going back to
                                                the 1790's. I hope to push the Csintala curtain back another
                                                generation of two later next year after I connect more of the pieces
                                                on my father's side.