New surname

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
      I have confirmed another surname for my family in C~akanovce. Anna Vangor
      married someone named Demeter in 1882. Has anyone heard of that name? It
      sounded rather unusual to me.

      Andrea
    • J. Michutka
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
        At 01:04 PM 11/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
        >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
        >
        >I have confirmed another surname for my family in C~akanovce. Anna Vangor
        >married someone named Demeter in 1882. Has anyone heard of that name? It
        >sounded rather unusual to me.

        First name or last name? As a first name, it's from the Greek I guess,
        Demeter & Persephone...don't ask me about the myth, I'd have to look it up!

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...
      • J. Michutka
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
          At 01:04 PM 11/11/99 -0800, you wrote:
          >From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
          >
          >I have confirmed another surname for my family in C~akanovce.

          I didn't read carefully enough--you did say surname! Still sounds Greek...

          Julie
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
            I will see how far back the Demeter family goes in these records. It was
            not there prior to 1835.

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 11, 1999
              Demeter is the Latin form Dmitri, a very popular name in among Greek
              Catholics in Eastern Slovak. He is a Saint is one of the patron saints
              of the Military.

              "TRADITION is the JOYFUL memory of a people!"
            • Andrea Vangor
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
                Thanks, Mark. That makes sense. There are a lot of people with this
                surname further south into Hungary too, or were in 1900.

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
                  Demeter is also found among the Germans. You may want to check and see
                  if there is a German connection also. You had many German villages in
                  Spis & Saris prior to WWII.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 12, 1999
                    Hmm. Maybe something will turn up that supports this. These are records of
                    an evangelical church community, more or less Lutherans, and I have noticed
                    other German names that go back to the mid-18th century, like
                    Firman/Fuhrmann.