Bogdonovec

  • dktahg01
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 19, 2002
      I am looking for information on the town that my paternal grand
      father came from. The papers he filled out for his emigration list a
      town called Bogdonovec. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to
      proceed.
      Douglas
    • John M,
      Message 2 of 21 , Nov 19, 2002
        At 02:10 AM 11/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        > I am looking for information on the town that my paternal grand
        >father came from. The papers he filled out for his emigration list a
        >town called Bogdonovec. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to
        >proceed.
        >Douglas

        Was he Slovak? Was his religion Greek or Roman Catholic? The closest I
        could find was the town of Bohdanovce, which was known as Bogdanowce early
        in the 19th century. There are a couple other candidates, S^aris^ske
        Bohdanovce and Bohdanovce nad Trnavou. They also have names in the past
        that contain Bogdano.... Two of these towns are in Eastern Slovakia and
        one is in the Bratislava area (nad Trnavou). Have you checked the Ellis
        Island database?

        John M
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 21 , Nov 19, 2002
          At 02:10 AM 11/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          > I am looking for information on the town that my paternal grand
          >father came from. The papers he filled out for his emigration list a
          >town called Bogdonovec. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to
          >proceed.
          >Douglas

          There is a Bogdanovec in Croatia.

          John M.
        • Konekta
          Message 4 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
            Can you tell me any surnames from there? I have some files, that might come in question.
            Regards,
            Vladimir
            www.konekta.sk

            Message 5 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
              Dear Vladimir.
              The family name of my paternal grand father was STEFANICKA. His name
              was Farntek (the slovak version of Frank)( I think thats how you
              spell it) his brothers were Janos and Laslow fathers name was
              Michaelem . I have also found records to indicate that his mother's
              maiden name might have been PALIS. Might there be census records or
              something like that. They came to the US in 1908.

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
              > Can you tell me any surnames from there? I have some files, that
              might come in question.
              > Regards,
              > Vladimir
              > www.konekta.sk

              Service.

            • dktahg01
              Message 6 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
                Dear Vladimir.
                The family name of my paternal grand father was STEFANICKA. His name
                was Farntek (the slovak version of Frank)( I think thats how you
                spell it) his brothers were Janos and Laslow fathers name was
                Michaelem . I have also found records to indicate that his mother's
                maiden name might have been PALIS. Might there be census records or
                something like that. They came to the US in 1908.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
                > Can you tell me any surnames from there? I have some files, that
                might come in question.
                > Regards,
                > Vladimir
                > www.konekta.sk

                Service.

              • dktahg01
                Message 7 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
                  Hi John,
                  Thank you what ever help you can give would be great. My paternal
                  grand father was slovac and roman catholic. He and his brothers came
                  to the US in 1908. His father came four years earlyer. I have reason
                  to belive that my grand fathers mother died in or around 1904 perhaps
                  during child birth. Also my great grand father served in the
                  hungarian army. Thank you in advance. Douglas

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
                  > At 02:10 AM 11/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                  > > I am looking for information on the town that my paternal grand
                  > >father came from. The papers he filled out for his emigration list
                  > >town called Bogdonovec. Dose anyone have any suggestions on how to
                  > >proceed.
                  > >Douglas
                  >
                  > Was he Slovak? Was his religion Greek or Roman Catholic? The
                  closest I
                  > could find was the town of Bohdanovce, which was known as
                  Bogdanowce early
                  > in the 19th century. There are a couple other candidates,
                  S^aris^ske
                  > Bohdanovce and Bohdanovce nad Trnavou. They also have names in the
                  past
                  > that contain Bogdano.... Two of these towns are in Eastern
                  Slovakia and
                  > one is in the Bratislava area (nad Trnavou). Have you checked the
                  Ellis
                  > Island database?
                  >
                  > John M
                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
                    At 09:35 PM 11/20/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Dear Vladimir.
                    >The family name of my paternal grand father was STEFANICKA.

                    There are 9 S^tefanic^ka (pronounced Shtefanichka) listed for Bratislava
                    and one in Bohdanovce nad Trnavou. It would appear that your relatives are
                    from the western part of Slovakia near Bratislava.

                    The SK online phone directory - http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

                    John

                    > His name
                    >was Farntek (the slovak version of Frank)( I think thats how you
                    >spell it) his brothers were Janos and Laslow fathers name was
                    >Michaelem . I have also found records to indicate that his mother's
                    >maiden name might have been PALIS. Might there be census records or
                    >something like that. They came to the US in 1908.
                    >
                    >--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
                    > > Can you tell me any surnames from there? I have some files, that
                    >might come in question.
                    > > Regards,
                    > > Vladimir
                    > > www.konekta.sk

                  • Julie C
                    Message 9 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
                      Hi,

                      I am looking for any info on my grandfather John(Jan) Slovak. He was born 11-30-1919. I believe he was from the town Velka nad Velickou. I tried looking through the ship manifest but not knowing which ship he came over on makes this very difficult.

                      I would be grateful for any help.

                      Thanks, Julie

                    • John M,
                      Message 10 of 21 , Nov 20, 2002
                        At 08:16 PM 11/20/2002 -0800, you wrote:

                        >Hi,
                        >
                        > I am looking for any info on my grandfather John(Jan) Slovak. He was
                        > born 11-30-1919. I believe he was from the town Velka nad Velickou. I
                        > tried looking through the ship manifest but not knowing which ship he
                        > came over on makes this very difficult.
                        >
                        >I would be grateful for any help.
                        >
                        >Thanks, Julie

                        Velka nad Velickou is in the Czech Republic about 10 miles from the border
                        with Slovakia and about 20 miles north of Myava in the Slovak Republic.The
                        Ellis Island database (EIDB) ends in 1924 so unless he came over very young
                        you won't find him there. There are a few "Slovak" surnames in the EIDB
                        that list Velka as their home village and are listed as
                        Bohemian. Unfortunately, there appear to be many towns that begin with
                        Velka. Did he become a citizen? If he did, there should be
                        documentation such as a Declaration of Intent that was filed, which should
                        give you the name of the ship, the date of arrival, the village or town,
                        contact in the US, Contact in Slovakia, etc. Do you know what year he
                        arrived? The Czech online directory lists 15 "Slovak" surnames in Velka
                        nad Velickou.

                        John M.
                      • nhasior@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Nov 21, 2002
                          Julie,
                          i checked the Ellis Island website, while this listing is not a perfect
                          match with your data, he is close, especially since his village of origin is
                          what you described. would he be possibly born earlier than 1919 by a few
                          years?
                          Noreen
                          Slovak, Jan
                          C-Sl.

                          Velka, C-SL.

                          November 24, 1922

                          9Y

                          George Washington

                          Bremen, Germany

                        • Frank
                          Message 12 of 21 , Nov 21, 2002
                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Julie C <jlcbengals@y...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > I am looking for any info on my grandfather John(Jan) Slovak.
                            He was born 11-30-1919. I believe he was from the town Velka nad
                            Velickou. I tried looking through the ship manifest but not knowing
                            which ship he came over on makes this very difficult.

                            > I would be grateful for any help.
                            >
                            > Thanks, Julie

                            I don't believe that there were any surname 'Slovak' bearers from
                            Slovakia.

                            In Hungarian the surname Tót, Tóth means 'Slovak'.
                            There are probably 50,000 surnames Tót, Tóth, Tot, Toth, Totth just
                            in Hungary.

                            But, a Czech surname for a Pole might be Polak, for a German Nemec,
                            for a Moravian Moravec, and for a Bohemian Cech, etc.

                            Velká nad Velic^kou is located in the Czech Republic.

                            For example, a Jan Slovak was born in 1853 in Moravia, Czech-
                            Bohemia.
                            Some surname 'Slovak' bearers from Velká nad Velic^kou settled in
                            western PA in the 1890s.

                            The Czechs emigrated to the U.S. earlier than the Slovaks (ethnicity)
                            beginning in the 1850s.
                            Many Czechs settled in the Gulf States and Texas or emigrated to the
                            Midwest.

                            The LDS never filmed the parish church records in the Czech Republic.

                            Czech-Bohemia (including Moravia 1849-1918) was a kingdom
                            (10th century-1918) and part of the Österreichisch-ungarische
                            Monarchie, or in English, Austro-Hungarian Monarchy.
                            It was an Austrian Kronland (province)
                            Both German and Czech languages were used.

                            Mähren => Maehren => Marin => Moravia.
                            Mähren was an Austrian Crownland located East of Böhmen (Bohemia).
                            Its capital was Brünn (Brno)
                            Mähren had been a separate crownland until 1849 when it became a part
                            of Böhmen (Bohemia) together with Österreichisch-Schleisen
                            (Austrian-Silesia).
                          • thomas henceroth
                            Message 13 of 21 , Nov 21, 2002
                              Are there any websites which list ships that were used
                              to transport immigrants from Europe? Seems there was
                              once one which primarily sold photos, but I can't find
                              that one now.

                              Also, what is the status of the immigration lists of
                              people entering from other ports of entry than Ellis
                              Island? Are any of them transcribed, printed, or on
                              the web?

                              Thanks

                              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                            • John M,
                              Message 14 of 21 , Nov 21, 2002
                                At 07:20 AM 11/21/2002 -0800, you wrote:

                                >Are there any websites which list ships that were used
                                >to transport immigrants from Europe? Seems there was
                                >once one which primarily sold photos, but I can't find
                                >that one now.

                                Try:
                                http://www.cimorelli.com/safe/shipmenu.htm

                                http://www.fortunecity.com/littleitaly/amalfi/13/ships.htm

                                http://www.kinshipsprints.com/

                                >Also, what is the status of the immigration lists of people entering from
                                >other ports of entry than Ellis Island? Are any of them transcribed,
                                >printed, or on the web?

                                Try:
                                http://www.archives.gov/research_room/genealogy/immigrant_arrivals/passenger_records.html

                                John M.
                              • Konekta
                                Message 15 of 21 , Nov 21, 2002
                                  Dear Douglas,
                                  This is not much, but I can check this for you on Monday. Don't you have any years or ages?
                                  Regards,
                                  Vladimir
                                  The family name of my paternal grand father was STEFANICKA. His name
                                  was Farntek (the slovak version of Frank)( I think thats how you
                                  spell it) his brothers were Janos and Laslow fathers name was
                                  Michaelem . I have also found records to indicate that his mother's
                                  maiden name might have been PALIS. Might there be census records or
                                  something like that. They came to the US in 1908.

                                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
                                  > Can you tell me any surnames from there? I have some files, that
                                  might come in question.
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Vladimir
                                  > www.konekta.sk

                                  Service.

                                • dktahg01
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Nov 21, 2002
                                    Hello Vladimir,
                                    I hope can give you more information to assist you. My Grand father
                                    FRANTISEK STEFANICKA (correct spelling) born-April 2nd 1904, His
                                    brothers JANOS STEFANICKA born-1902, & LASZLO STEFANICKA born-1900.
                                    My great grand father MICHAELEM STEFANICKA born-Sept. 16th 1875. As I
                                    indicated I believe that my great grand mothers maiden name was
                                    PALIS. I believe she died as there is no mention of her in the ship
                                    records and my great grand father remarried in the US in 1909. The
                                    boys came to the US on the SS Grosser Kurfurst arriving on July 20th
                                    1909. This was four years after my great grand father arrived. My
                                    great grand father also served in the Hungarian Army. I do not know
                                    if any records from the army still exist? I hope that the dates will
                                    help. Also the family was Roman Catholic. I look forward to your
                                    reply. Douglas

                                    Service.

                                  • Frank
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Nov 22, 2002
                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., thomas henceroth <thenceroth@y...> wrote:

                                      > Are there any websites which list ships that were used
                                      > to transport immigrants from Europe? Seems there was
                                      > once one which primarily sold photos, but I can't find
                                      > that one now.
                                      >
                                      > Also, what is the status of the immigration lists of
                                      > people entering from other ports of entry than Ellis
                                      > Island? Are any of them transcribed, printed, or on
                                      > the web?
                                      >
                                      > Thanks

                                      Perhaps not websites, but try your local LDS-Mormon FHC for
                                      passenger lists other than Ellis Island (NYC)

                                      http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/PassLists/

                                      Family History Center (FHC) worldwide.

                                      LDS - Mormon FHCs - LOCATIONS

                                      > Yahoo! Mail Plus – Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
                                      > http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                                    • Vladimír Bohinc
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 22, 2002
                                        Dear Douglas,
                                        As I understand, your problem was, you could not tell, which place that was.
                                        I will check the place for you next week, by finding the birth of Michal
                                        Stefanicka sep.16.1875. I hope, it's there.
                                        The spelling Michaelem is not correct.
                                        In latin, as well as in slovak language, the names are also being declined.
                                        Michaelem is second case in latin.

                                        Service.

                                      • dktahg01
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Nov 23, 2002
                                          Hello Vladimir,
                                          Yes, I have been having a problem locating the exact town. Ultimately
                                          I would like to find my families roots, I want to trace back as far
                                          as I can. So to that end with, three possible towns on two opposite
                                          sides of the country I need to narrow the search. The help so far has
                                          been great. I would really appreciate what ever you could find.
                                          Thanks Douglas

                                        • Vladimir Bohinc
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Nov 25, 2002
                                            Dear Douglas,
                                            I found your family.Please, write me directly to konekta@...
                                            Regards,
                                            Vladimir
                                            Yes, I have been having a problem locating the exact town. Ultimately
                                            I would like to find my families roots, I want to trace back as far
                                            as I can. So to that end with, three possible towns on two opposite
                                            sides of the country I need to narrow the search. The help so far has
                                            been great. I would really appreciate what ever you could find.
                                            Thanks Douglas

                                            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., Vladimír Bohinc <konekta@n...> wrote:
                                            > Dear Douglas,
                                            > As I understand, your problem was, you could not tell, which place
                                            that was.
                                            > I will check the place for you next week, by finding the birth of
                                            Michal
                                            > Stefanicka sep.16.1875. I hope, it's there.
                                            > The spelling Michaelem is not correct.
                                            > In latin, as well as in slovak language, the names are also being
                                            declined.
                                            > Michaelem is second case in latin.
                                            > Regards,
                                            > Vladimir

                                          • joe krehlik
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 25, 2010
                                              We called it "Sweet Cheese", and added a little nutmeg. Delicious at Easter with the Ham. As kids, we used to fight over who got to drink the strained Sweet Cheese milk - good stuff.