Re: [S-R] Place of Origin

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 15, 2002
      At 04:39 PM 11/15/2002 -0500, Mebjwb@... wrote:
      >John M
      >
      >Thank you for your information regarding Zempl and Ung. I will try to the
      >LDS location you mention. Also you ask re their religion. It was Roman
      >Catholic.
      >
      >I have tried to locate pre WWI maps, but have not had any luck. I have a
      >young Czech friend who travels home several times a year. I asked if she
      >could get me a Russian Military Map of Slovakia and surrounding area. She
      >does not know how to do this, and she did not have a suggestion for locating
      >towns that interest me. Do you have somewhere to recommend where I might
      >locate a pre WWI map?

      Yes. there are some excellent county maps at this site:

      http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm

      The column on the left shows a list of blue highlighted counties. Ung and
      Zemplen are near the end of the list. Click on the Zemplen and Ung and you
      will get a good map of these counties. On the Zemplen map, Butka is at
      about 22 deg. 59 min longitude and 48 deg 38 min latitude on the map (look
      at the bottom and side edges of the map for longitude and
      latitude). Nagymihaly (now Mihalovce) is about an inch directly above it.

      Butka is very close to the border of Ung and Zemplen counties. If you look
      at the Ung map, you will see Butka showing on the left side of the Ung map
      at the same latitude and longitude as shown above because there is a
      slight overlap of the maps

      Again, if you scroll down the web page with the list of maps, you will see
      a map of Hungary showing all the county locations.

      John M.