Re: [S-R] Re: Addressing people in Slovakia ( and other europeancountries)

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 13, 2002
      At 07:52 AM 11/13/2002 -0700, you wrote:
      >Question.....
      >
      >I do not speak Slovak. I do read, speak and write Russian. If I were to
      >send a letter to possible relatives in Slovakia, written in Russian, would they
      >either be offended or be able to read it?
      >
      >Probably a stupid question...
      >
      >elaine

      It depends on the area of Slovakia that you're trying to communicate with
      and the age of the recipient. The northeastern and far eastern areas were
      Rusyn areas and there are probably more persons in that area that are
      comfortable with Cyrillic. I believe that many Slovaks received training
      in Russian during their school years up until the collapse of the USSR. As
      far as political implications, there are still many WWII monuments to the
      partisans and the Russians that are present and accepted if not appreciated
      by most. These certainly could have been destroyed by now. Consequently,
      I don't think they would be offended but they may not be able to read your
      letter.

      John M.