GROFCSIK

  • TISZADADA@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 29, 1999
      I am new to the list and would like to introduce myself. My name is Sharon I
      Dickson and both my mother and father are Hungarian, first generation born in
      America.

      There is a mystery that I have been trying to crack for almost twenty years.
      My grandfather Geza BAKO's parents were Daniel Bako b. c. 1845 Hungary, d. 5
      Aug 1891 Nagyhalasz, Szabolcs, Hungary, and Rozalia GROFCSIK m. 18 Nov 1876
      in Kemecse, Szabolcs, Hungary. He was Reformed and she was Uniate ( I
      believe it is like a Greek Catholic). The marriage took place in the Catholic
      church in Kemecse, but the five children they had were all baptised in the
      Reformed church in Nagyhalasz. They were Daniel, 1877-1877; Geza (my
      grandf.) 1878-1963; Daniel 1885-?; Samuel 1887-1887; and Ferencz BAKO
      1888-1889. Three, as you can see died in infancy and the second Daniel
      probably did as well, but no record found on his death. My grandfather Geza
      was the only one who lived to adulthood.
      I have never been able to find a connection in any village nearby of
      relatives for either Daniel or Rozalia. A minister checked several villages
      surrounding Nagyhalasz and the other BAKO family in one denied any relation
      to them. I believe that Rozalia was
      born in Slovakia. Her name sounds Slovak! How would I begin to search
      Slovak records at the FHL to find her connection? Any suggestions would be
      appreciated.
      Thank you so much.
      Sharon I Dickson