Slovak Genealogy and Slovak History

  • bakemail
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2002
      Dobre Den Slovaks,
      In researching my Slovak ancestry the most helpful resource was a
      series of about 40 articles entitle "Realm of Slovak Geneaology" by
      Ray Plutko. The articles were published from 1995 through 1998 in
      the Jednota Slovak Catholic newspaper from Ohio. The series was very
      detailed and extremely helpful with subjects including contacting the
      Slovak Embassy in Washington, D. C., and the Slovak Archives in
      Bratislava, and the using the LDS family history center resources. I
      was able to trace my paternal grandfather's family back to 1726 in
      the villages of Abranovce, Zehna and surrounding villages.
      One excellent resource for Slovak history is the book entitled "A
      History of Slovakia, The Struggle for Survival". The author is
      Stanislav J. Kirschbaum. I located the book for sale at
      www.alibris.com.
      Happy Hunting, Bob Kocerha