Canadian immigration

  • Jenny Brichta
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 1999
      Hi Julie,

      What Kate wrote sounds like what I heard from my great-aunt Fritzi. She
      emigrated from Czech. into Canada and had a real struggle there the first
      few years. She said they were too poor to buy farm equipment so several
      families used a communal plow. I don't think they made any profit off the
      land, just managed to survive. So in answer to your question, I got the
      information from a live witness who is still live and well at the age of 73.
      I could write her via snail mail and ask her for more info if what Kate gave
      you isn't enough.

      Jenny

      P.S. Sorry for sending the entire list last time-Thanks, Ron, for pointing
      that out.

      >May I ask what your source of info about the >Canadian land deal is, and
      >whether there are any records that can be >checked?
      >Julie

      >Basically, as I understand it, agents of the >government went to the States
      >and other countries to encourage immigrants to >settle in the Canadian
      West.