Re: Ships & comments

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 25, 1999
      Thanks for your response Maura.

      Message: 7
      Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:56:53 -0500 (CDT)
      From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
      Subject: Re: Re: Ships & comments

      Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
      certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
      in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

      I never meant to infer that they did anything other than look up ships
      in reference books or CDs. I would never expect them to search actual
      records for me.

      And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
      verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
      Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
      those who put the books together.

      Another bit of information that I found in my research of ship's
      manifests is that sometimes the parents register their children as being
      a few years younger than they truly are in order to avoid paying full
      fare.

      By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
      begin with http)

      Oops! I guess I slipped up there. I suppose I am trying to do too much
      at one time - as usual. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

      BTW, I agree with Andy V. to use the name as used and spelled in the
      particular language of the person. You can always make note in your
      research notes of the Latin and Hungarian, etc. spelling. Keep it
      simple I always say and you can't go wrong.
      Alice

      Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      sabinov@...
      Helpful Hints for Successful Searching