Re: German villages in Slovakia

  • Mary Anne L. Waltz
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2002
      Hi All,

      I find this discussion of German villages in Spis very interesting. My maternal grandmother, Anna Sofranko, is my "brick wall." Born about 1880 in "Spis" (all we know), orphaned at 6-7 years old (no parents' names), sent to live with "relatives in Germany" (possibly mother's?, don't know where), although there were still paternal aunts in Spis. Was fluent in both German and Slovak. Immigrated about 1900 to PA. Although she married a Catholic and the children were raised as Catholic, my mom suspects that based on things Anna said and implied, she may have been raised as Evangelical or Lutheran.

      Anna does not show up under any possible spelling of Sofranko that I've tried @ Ellis Island. The closest match I've found is Anna Sofvanko, but no one recognizes the "brother-in-law" listed as her destination.

      Most of the Sofrankos that I have found have come from the following villages in Spis: Kortvelyes, Hrabko, Polanocz. Can anyone tell me if any of these had significant German populations in 1880? Are there census records available for any? Do they provide personal names, or just summary data?

      Thanks so much.

      Mary Anne Waltz
      researching Sofranko/Simasek