Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • Konekta
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
      This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
      Vladimir
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
        At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
        >Dear Noreen,
        >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
        >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
        >Regards,
        >Vladimir

        Vladimir,

        Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
        Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
        1902. D'akujem.

        John
      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
          John,
          Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
            At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
            >John,
            >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
            >Vladimir

            Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
            itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
            villages at:

            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

            I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
            Krive. D'akujem.

            John
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              Hello Vladimir,
              is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
              best wishes,
              Noreen
            • Konekta
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                Dear Noreen,
                Yes all three are available.
                Regards,
                Vladimir

                Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                  John,
                  Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                    Vladimir,

                    Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                    Jim Dubelko
                  • John M,
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                      At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                      >John,
                      >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                      >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                      >Vladimir

                      Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                      Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                      yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                      Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                      recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                      this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                      village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                      name the village is listed under?

                      John

                    • Konekta
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                        Dear John,
                        I am not referring to LDS lists.
                        My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                        Regards,
                        Vladimir
                        >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                        >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                        >Vladimir

                        Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                        Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                        yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                        Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                        recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                        this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                        village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                        name the village is listed under?

                        John

                      • Dan Kisha
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                          Vladimir:

                          Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                          Zehna, Slovakia.

                          Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                          >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                          >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                          the list.
                          >Regards,
                          >Vladimir

                          Vladimir,

                          Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                          Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                          1902. D'akujem.

                          John

                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                        • John M,
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                            At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                            >Dear John,
                            >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                            >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                            >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                            >Regards,
                            >Vladimir

                            Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                            their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                            another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                            John M.
                          • Donna Lachney
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                              Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                              Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                >Vladimir:
                                >
                                >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                >
                                >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                Dan,

                                From the FHLC :

                                Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                John M.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                  Dear Donna,
                                  My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                  Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                  Regards,
                                  Vladimir

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                    Dear Dan,
                                    Long time no see!
                                    Yes, they are all there.
                                    Regards,
                                    Vladimir
                                    >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                    >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                    >
                                    >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                    Dan,

                                    From the FHLC :

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                      Dear Vladimir,
                                      Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                      Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                      Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,