Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
      hi Jim,
      i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
      that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
      regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
      who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
      families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
      etc.
      many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
      same house number.
      Noreen
    • Konekta
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
        Dear Jim,
        What I have is statistical data, not families.
        Kravany 1910
        Inhabitants 664
        magyar 1
        german 4
        slovak 632
        other 27

        Religion
        Rc 661
        jewish 3

        homes 137

        Kubachy 1910

        inhab 1591
        magyar 3
        german 22
        slovak 1519
        other 47

        religion
        Rc 1569
        Gc 1
        Ev 1
        jewish 20

        homes 290

        Hranovnica 1910

        inhabitants 1208
        magyar 11
        german 42
        slovak 1155

        religion
        Rc 1048
        Gc 5
        Ev 112
        jewish 43

        homes 219

        Regards,
        Vladimir

        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
          Dear Noreen,
          I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
          Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
          Regards,
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
            This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
            Vladimir
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
              >Dear Noreen,
              >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
              >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
              >Regards,
              >Vladimir

              Vladimir,

              Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
              Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
              1902. D'akujem.

              John
            • Konekta
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                John,
                Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                  At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                  >John,
                  >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                  >Vladimir

                  Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                  itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                  villages at:

                  http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                  I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                  Krive. D'akujem.

                  John
                • nhasior@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                    Hello Vladimir,
                    is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                    best wishes,
                    Noreen
                  • Konekta
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      Dear Noreen,
                      Yes all three are available.
                      Regards,
                      Vladimir

                      Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                        John,
                        Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                          Vladimir,

                          Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                          Jim Dubelko
                        • John M,
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                            At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                            >John,
                            >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                            >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                            >Vladimir

                            Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                            Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                            yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                            Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                            recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                            this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                            village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                            name the village is listed under?

                            John

                          • Konekta
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                              Dear John,
                              I am not referring to LDS lists.
                              My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                              Regards,
                              Vladimir
                              >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                              >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                              >Vladimir

                              Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                              Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                              yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                              Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                              recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                              this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                              village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                              name the village is listed under?

                              John

                            • Dan Kisha
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                Vladimir:

                                Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                Zehna, Slovakia.

                                Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                the list.
                                >Regards,
                                >Vladimir

                                Vladimir,

                                Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                1902. D'akujem.

                                John

                                Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                              • John M,
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                  At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                  >Dear John,
                                  >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                  >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                  >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                  >Regards,
                                  >Vladimir

                                  Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                  their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                  another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                  John M.
                                • Donna Lachney
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                    Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                      >Vladimir:
                                      >
                                      >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                      >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                      >
                                      >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                      Dan,

                                      From the FHLC :

                                      Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                      Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                      Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                      John M.

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                        Dear Donna,
                                        My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                        Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                        Regards,
                                        Vladimir

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                          Dear Dan,
                                          Long time no see!
                                          Yes, they are all there.
                                          Regards,
                                          Vladimir
                                          >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                          >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                          >
                                          >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                          Dan,

                                          From the FHLC :

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                            Dear Vladimir,
                                            Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                            Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                            Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,