Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • jdubelko@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
      Vladimir,

      Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

      Thank you.

      Jim Dubelko
    • nhasior@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
        hi Jim,
        i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
        that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
        regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
        who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
        families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
        etc.
        many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
        same house number.
        Noreen
      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
          Dear Jim,
          What I have is statistical data, not families.
          Kravany 1910
          Inhabitants 664
          magyar 1
          german 4
          slovak 632
          other 27

          Religion
          Rc 661
          jewish 3

          homes 137

          Kubachy 1910

          inhab 1591
          magyar 3
          german 22
          slovak 1519
          other 47

          religion
          Rc 1569
          Gc 1
          Ev 1
          jewish 20

          homes 290

          Hranovnica 1910

          inhabitants 1208
          magyar 11
          german 42
          slovak 1155

          religion
          Rc 1048
          Gc 5
          Ev 112
          jewish 43

          homes 219

          Regards,
          Vladimir

          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
            Dear Noreen,
            I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
            Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
            Regards,
            Vladimir

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
              Vladimir
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                >Dear Noreen,
                >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                >Regards,
                >Vladimir

                Vladimir,

                Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                1902. D'akujem.

                John
              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                  John,
                  Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                  Vladimir

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                    At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                    >John,
                    >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                    >Vladimir

                    Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                    itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                    villages at:

                    http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                    I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                    Krive. D'akujem.

                    John
                  • nhasior@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      Hello Vladimir,
                      is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                      best wishes,
                      Noreen
                    • Konekta
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                        Dear Noreen,
                        Yes all three are available.
                        Regards,
                        Vladimir

                        Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                          John,
                          Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                            Vladimir,

                            Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                            Jim Dubelko
                          • John M,
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                              At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                              >John,
                              >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                              >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                              >Vladimir

                              Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                              Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                              yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                              Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                              recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                              this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                              village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                              name the village is listed under?

                              John

                            • Konekta
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                Dear John,
                                I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                Regards,
                                Vladimir
                                >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                >Vladimir

                                Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                name the village is listed under?

                                John

                              • Dan Kisha
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                  Vladimir:

                                  Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                  Zehna, Slovakia.

                                  Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                  >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                  >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                  the list.
                                  >Regards,
                                  >Vladimir

                                  Vladimir,

                                  Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                  Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                  1902. D'akujem.

                                  John

                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                • John M,
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                    >Dear John,
                                    >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                    >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                    >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                    >Regards,
                                    >Vladimir

                                    Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                    their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                    another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                    John M.
                                  • Donna Lachney
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                      Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                        At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                        >Vladimir:
                                        >
                                        >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                        >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                        >
                                        >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                        Dan,

                                        From the FHLC :

                                        Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                        Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                        Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                        John M.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                          Dear Donna,
                                          My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                          Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                          Regards,
                                          Vladimir

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                            Dear Dan,
                                            Long time no see!
                                            Yes, they are all there.
                                            Regards,
                                            Vladimir
                                            >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                            >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                            >
                                            >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                            Dan,

                                            From the FHLC :

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                              Dear Vladimir,
                                              Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                              Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                              Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,