Re: First Name--which to use?

  • Andy Verostko
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24 7:21 PM
      Jeff,
      I'm sure you will get some very good info on names from the group
      and here is my opinion.

      The child was baptized at the church. "What name do you give?"
      asked the priest. "Juraj", was the answer. In the the records,
      the priest wrote Georgius because he was using Latin at that time.
      A few years later, a priest wrote Georgy because he was using the
      Hungarian form as the official language. However, in the vernacular,
      at home and in everyday life, he was "Juraj". So, in documentation,
      I have it recorded as written. In my data base for general
      presentation, I use the Slovak form if I believe him to be Slovak.
      There are cases where some ancestors of my wife considered
      themselves German and were generally baptized using the German
      Name form and that is the way is is in my data base. Notes define
      the reasons but the common visibility is the ancestry and language
      of that individual.

      --

      Regards

      Andy Verostko