Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
      At 02:02 PM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
      >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
      >
      >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
      >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

      The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
      villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
      with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
      area it might help.

      John
    • jdubelko@aol.com
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
        Vladimir,

        Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

        Thank you.

        Jim Dubelko
      • nhasior@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
          hi Jim,
          i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
          that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
          regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
          who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
          families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
          etc.
          many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
          same house number.
          Noreen
        • Konekta
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
            Dear Jim,
            What I have is statistical data, not families.
            Kravany 1910
            Inhabitants 664
            magyar 1
            german 4
            slovak 632
            other 27

            Religion
            Rc 661
            jewish 3

            homes 137

            Kubachy 1910

            inhab 1591
            magyar 3
            german 22
            slovak 1519
            other 47

            religion
            Rc 1569
            Gc 1
            Ev 1
            jewish 20

            homes 290

            Hranovnica 1910

            inhabitants 1208
            magyar 11
            german 42
            slovak 1155

            religion
            Rc 1048
            Gc 5
            Ev 112
            jewish 43

            homes 219

            Regards,
            Vladimir

            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              Dear Noreen,
              I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
              Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
              Regards,
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                  At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                  >Dear Noreen,
                  >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                  >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                  >Regards,
                  >Vladimir

                  Vladimir,

                  Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                  Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                  1902. D'akujem.

                  John
                • Konekta
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                    John,
                    Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                      >John,
                      >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                      >Vladimir

                      Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                      itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                      villages at:

                      http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                      I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                      Krive. D'akujem.

                      John
                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                        Hello Vladimir,
                        is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                        best wishes,
                        Noreen
                      • Konekta
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                          Dear Noreen,
                          Yes all three are available.
                          Regards,
                          Vladimir

                          Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                            John,
                            Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                              Vladimir,

                              Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                              Jim Dubelko
                            • John M,
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                >John,
                                >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                >Vladimir

                                Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                name the village is listed under?

                                John

                              • Konekta
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                  Dear John,
                                  I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                  My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                  Regards,
                                  Vladimir
                                  >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                  >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                  >Vladimir

                                  Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                  Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                  yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                  Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                  recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                  this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                  village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                  name the village is listed under?

                                  John

                                • Dan Kisha
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    Vladimir:

                                    Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                    Zehna, Slovakia.

                                    Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                    >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                    >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                    the list.
                                    >Regards,
                                    >Vladimir

                                    Vladimir,

                                    Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                    Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                    1902. D'akujem.

                                    John

                                    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                                  • John M,
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                      >Dear John,
                                      >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                      >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                      >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                      >Regards,
                                      >Vladimir

                                      Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                      their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                      another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                      John M.
                                    • Donna Lachney
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                        Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                        Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                          At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                          >Vladimir:
                                          >
                                          >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                          >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                          >
                                          >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                          Dan,

                                          From the FHLC :

                                          Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                          Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                          Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                          John M.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                            Dear Donna,
                                            My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                            Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                            Regards,
                                            Vladimir

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                              Dear Dan,
                                              Long time no see!
                                              Yes, they are all there.
                                              Regards,
                                              Vladimir
                                              >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                              >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                              >
                                              >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                              Dan,

                                              From the FHLC :

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                                Dear Vladimir,
                                                Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                                Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                                Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,