Re: [S-R] Writing a letter to the City of Gajary

  • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
      Hi Kevin
      the 'mayor' of Gajary is called 'starosta' in Slovakian. My parents live about 10 km from Gajary. If you need any help in translating your letter I might be of some help.
      Hope this information helps.
      Best regards
      Sylvia
      kevin zawrazk <zawrazky@...> wrote:Hi All,

      I need some help....I want to write a letter to the
      "Mayor" of the town Gajary to ask about how the city
      was founded and the general history of the city. Also,
      want to ask the "mayor" if they know about my
      relatives that were from the town. The problem is
      first, I don't know who to write to (is there a
      "mayor" in the town of Gajary, like we have in the
      US); second - can I write to the "mayor" in english,
      if not where can I search to translate my letter to
      Slovak.

      Thanks for eveyones help,

      Kevin Zawrazky

    • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
        Dear Kevin,

        Little bit about village of Gajary:

        GAJARY
        Gajary were founded in 1373. they belonged to Earls form Saint Juraj and Pezinok, in 1553 they belonged to Seredy monarchs and monarchy of Plavec. Gajary was the residence of 30th station, the toll station for crossing the river Morava. Leopold I. given the vilage the fairing right and since then the village started to develop as the lordship town. All the money were taken away from Gajary during Racoczi rebellion. In 1720 Gajary had 110 tax payers, in 1828 had 381 houses and 2852 inhabitants. They grew and sold vegetables, traded with cattle, they made scourge baskets. The brandy factory was in service in Gajary after 2nd half of 19th century.

        Best regards

        Sylvia

        kevin zawrazk <zawrazky@...> wrote:
        Hi All,

        I need some help....I want to write a letter to the
        "Mayor" of the town Gajary to ask about how the city
        was founded and the general history of the city. Also,
        want to ask the "mayor" if they know about my
        relatives that were from the town. The problem is
        first, I don't know who to write to (is there a
        "mayor" in the town of Gajary, like we have in the
        US); second - can I write to the "mayor" in english,
        if not where can I search to translate my letter to
        Slovak.

        Thanks for eveyones help,

        Kevin Zawrazky

      • kevin zawrazk
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 12, 2002
          Dear Sylvia,

          All I can say is WOW!!! I had no idea of the history,
          where can I find more information about Gajary?

          Thank you very much, you made my day !

          Best Regards,

          Kevin

          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2