Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • Konekta
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
      Sorry, but Orlov is in Saris, not in Spis. I will have Saris data before the end of the year.
      Re older names;
      If the places are on the territory of present Slovakia, then you should have the "Majtan" book. This book has been offered by the Slovak import company.
      If the places are outside, you should check a very good map from that time.
      If you can not find it on the map, then you either have a very wrong spelling, or the place is still in another territory.
      In general, I prefer to answer mails , that are signed.

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
        At 02:02 PM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
        >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
        >
        >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
        >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

        The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
        villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
        with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
        area it might help.

        John
      • jdubelko@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
          Vladimir,

          Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

          Thank you.

          Jim Dubelko
        • nhasior@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
            hi Jim,
            i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
            that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
            regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
            who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
            families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
            etc.
            many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
            same house number.
            Noreen
          • Konekta
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              Dear Jim,
              What I have is statistical data, not families.
              Kravany 1910
              Inhabitants 664
              magyar 1
              german 4
              slovak 632
              other 27

              Religion
              Rc 661
              jewish 3

              homes 137

              Kubachy 1910

              inhab 1591
              magyar 3
              german 22
              slovak 1519
              other 47

              religion
              Rc 1569
              Gc 1
              Ev 1
              jewish 20

              homes 290

              Hranovnica 1910

              inhabitants 1208
              magyar 11
              german 42
              slovak 1155

              religion
              Rc 1048
              Gc 5
              Ev 112
              jewish 43

              homes 219

              Regards,
              Vladimir

              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                Dear Noreen,
                I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                Regards,
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                  This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
                  Vladimir
                  >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
                  >
                  >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
                  >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

                  The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
                  villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
                  with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
                  area it might help.

                  John

                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                    At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                    >Dear Noreen,
                    >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                    >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                    >Regards,
                    >Vladimir

                    Vladimir,

                    Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                    Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                    1902. D'akujem.

                    John
                  • Konekta
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      John,
                      Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                        At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                        >John,
                        >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                        >Vladimir

                        Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                        itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                        villages at:

                        http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                        I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                        Krive. D'akujem.

                        John
                      • nhasior@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                          Hello Vladimir,
                          is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                          best wishes,
                          Noreen
                        • Konekta
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                            Dear Noreen,
                            Yes all three are available.
                            Regards,
                            Vladimir

                            Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                              John,
                              Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                Vladimir,

                                Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                                Jim Dubelko
                              • John M,
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                  At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                  >John,
                                  >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                  >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                  >Vladimir

                                  Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                  Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                  yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                  Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                  recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                  this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                  village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                  name the village is listed under?

                                  John

                                • Konekta
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    Dear John,
                                    I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                    My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                    Regards,
                                    Vladimir
                                    >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                    >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                    >Vladimir

                                    Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                    Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                    yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                    Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                    recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                    this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                    village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                    name the village is listed under?

                                    John

                                  • Dan Kisha
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      Vladimir:

                                      Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                      Zehna, Slovakia.

                                      Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                      >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                      >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                      the list.
                                      >Regards,
                                      >Vladimir

                                      Vladimir,

                                      Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                      Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                      1902. D'akujem.

                                      John

                                      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                        At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                        >Dear John,
                                        >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                        >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                        >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                        >Regards,
                                        >Vladimir

                                        Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                        their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                        another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                        John M.
                                      • Donna Lachney
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                          Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                          Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                            At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                            >Vladimir:
                                            >
                                            >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                            >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                            >
                                            >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                            Dan,

                                            From the FHLC :

                                            Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                            Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                            Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                            John M.

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                              Dear Donna,
                                              My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                              Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                              Regards,
                                              Vladimir

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                Dear Dan,
                                                Long time no see!
                                                Yes, they are all there.
                                                Regards,
                                                Vladimir
                                                >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                >
                                                >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                Dan,

                                                From the FHLC :

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                                  Dear Vladimir,
                                                  Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                                  Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                                  Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,