Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
      Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

      Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
      older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
      stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
      that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
      Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
      assistance.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
      > Dear Jim,
      > I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
      > Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
      > 83 Magyar
      > 462 German
      > 219 Slovak
      > of them were
      > 320 Roman catholics
      > 9 Greek catholics
      > 2 Orthodox
      > 397 Lutheran
      > 9 Lutheran reformed
      > 27 Jewish
      > They all lived in 135 houses.
      > I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places
      from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir

      cousin doesn't speak English much better, so perhaps I misunderstood
      the significance of the village being referred to as a "German"
      village. I just offered it for whatever it might be worth with the
      hope that it might have in some way helped the member with the
      question seeking to locate her grandmother's village.

      > Jim Dubelko
      >
      > Jim Dubelko
      >

      > In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:55:37 +0100, "Konekta"
      <konekta@n...> writes:

      > >Dear Jim,
      > >This can hardly be true.
      > >Germans, while here, were quite different from the Slovaks, not
      only in language.
      > >After WW1, they all either left or were expelled. So many german
      villages were almost totally empty.They left everything there.
      > >Such villages were then settled with people from Kysuce, Orava
      and other poor places.Some of the new settlers came from the Czech
      Sudety area, where they were settled to from Kysuce in the first
      place.They brought with them everything, that they could take from
      the german homes in Sudety.
      > >Many then moved again to larger cities like Martin, to work in
      the factories.
      > >German woodden homes were dismantled and moved to other
      locations to serve as weekend houses for the new political elite.
      > >I am researching german genealogy and had a chance to thoroughy
      research some of the german villages, also concerning the ownership
      of the land and houses.
      > >In many cases, what was left by the Germans was also settled
      with Gipsies, that ruined everything.
      > >Large farms, buildings etc did not have any place in the new
      communist system. They were left to decay.
      > >If you take a look at Levoca, for example. It is a medieval
      jewel of architecture. However, this place is full of Gipsies, that
      are living there and have no appreciation of history.
      > >The communist regime was practical, without regard to historical
      values.According to them, the past was all wrong and the decay of
      beautiful buildings like houses, mansions, castles (with few
      exceptions) should witness, how rotten the past system was.
      > >Vladimir

      visiting relatives in the Poprad area in the Summer of 2001. One day
      we visited a church in Spisske-Sobota. On the road to that village,
      we passed through another village which my cousin referred to as a
      German village. I got the impression that, if the people there were
      not German, they at least had continued a lot of German traditions
      and culture to the present day.

      > > Jim Dubelko

      Service.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Service.

    • Konekta
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
        Sorry, but Orlov is in Saris, not in Spis. I will have Saris data before the end of the year.
        Re older names;
        If the places are on the territory of present Slovakia, then you should have the "Majtan" book. This book has been offered by the Slovak import company.
        If the places are outside, you should check a very good map from that time.
        If you can not find it on the map, then you either have a very wrong spelling, or the place is still in another territory.
        In general, I prefer to answer mails , that are signed.

        Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

        Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
        older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
        stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
        that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
        Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
        assistance.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
        > Dear Jim,
        > I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
        > Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
        > 83 Magyar
        > 462 German
        > 219 Slovak
        > of them were
        > 320 Roman catholics
        > 9 Greek catholics
        > 2 Orthodox
        > 397 Lutheran
        > 9 Lutheran reformed
        > 27 Jewish
        > They all lived in 135 houses.
        > I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places
        from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
        > Regards,
        > Vladimir

      • John M,
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
          At 02:02 PM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
          >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
          >
          >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
          >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

          The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
          villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
          with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
          area it might help.

          John
        • jdubelko@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
            Vladimir,

            Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

            Thank you.

            Jim Dubelko
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              hi Jim,
              i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
              that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
              regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
              who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
              families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
              etc.
              many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
              same house number.
              Noreen
            • Konekta
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                Dear Jim,
                What I have is statistical data, not families.
                Kravany 1910
                Inhabitants 664
                magyar 1
                german 4
                slovak 632
                other 27

                Religion
                Rc 661
                jewish 3

                homes 137

                Kubachy 1910

                inhab 1591
                magyar 3
                german 22
                slovak 1519
                other 47

                religion
                Rc 1569
                Gc 1
                Ev 1
                jewish 20

                homes 290

                Hranovnica 1910

                inhabitants 1208
                magyar 11
                german 42
                slovak 1155

                religion
                Rc 1048
                Gc 5
                Ev 112
                jewish 43

                homes 219

                Regards,
                Vladimir

                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                  Dear Noreen,
                  I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                  Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                  Regards,
                  Vladimir

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                    This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                      >Dear Noreen,
                      >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                      >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                      >Regards,
                      >Vladimir

                      Vladimir,

                      Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                      Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                      1902. D'akujem.

                      John
                    • Konekta
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                        John,
                        Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                        Vladimir

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                          At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                          >John,
                          >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                          >Vladimir

                          Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                          itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                          villages at:

                          http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                          I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                          Krive. D'akujem.

                          John
                        • nhasior@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                            Hello Vladimir,
                            is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                            best wishes,
                            Noreen
                          • Konekta
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                              Dear Noreen,
                              Yes all three are available.
                              Regards,
                              Vladimir

                              Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                John,
                                Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                  Vladimir,

                                  Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                                  Jim Dubelko
                                • John M,
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                    >John,
                                    >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                    >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                    >Vladimir

                                    Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                    Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                    yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                    Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                    recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                    this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                    village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                    name the village is listed under?

                                    John

                                  • Konekta
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      Dear John,
                                      I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                      My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                      Regards,
                                      Vladimir
                                      >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                      >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                      >Vladimir

                                      Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                      Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                      yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                      Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                      recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                      this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                      village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                      name the village is listed under?

                                      John

                                    • Dan Kisha
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                        Vladimir:

                                        Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                        Zehna, Slovakia.

                                        Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                        >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                        >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                        the list.
                                        >Regards,
                                        >Vladimir

                                        Vladimir,

                                        Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                        Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                        1902. D'akujem.

                                        John

                                        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                          At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                          >Dear John,
                                          >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                          >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                          >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                          >Regards,
                                          >Vladimir

                                          Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                          their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                          another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                          John M.
                                        • Donna Lachney
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                            Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                            Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                              At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                              >Vladimir:
                                              >
                                              >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                              >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                              >
                                              >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                              Dan,

                                              From the FHLC :

                                              Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                              Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                              Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                              John M.

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                Dear Donna,
                                                My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                                Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                                Regards,
                                                Vladimir

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                  Dear Dan,
                                                  Long time no see!
                                                  Yes, they are all there.
                                                  Regards,
                                                  Vladimir
                                                  >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                  >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                  >
                                                  >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                  Dan,

                                                  From the FHLC :

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                                    Dear Vladimir,
                                                    Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                                    Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                                    Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,