Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • Konekta
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
      Dear Jim,
      I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
      Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
      83 Magyar
      462 German
      219 Slovak
      of them were
      320 Roman catholics
      9 Greek catholics
      2 Orthodox
      397 Lutheran
      9 Lutheran reformed
      27 Jewish
      They all lived in 135 houses.
      I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
      Regards,
      Vladimir

      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
        Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

        Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
        older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
        stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
        that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
        Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
        assistance.

        Service.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Service.

      • Konekta
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
          Sorry, but Orlov is in Saris, not in Spis. I will have Saris data before the end of the year.
          Re older names;
          If the places are on the territory of present Slovakia, then you should have the "Majtan" book. This book has been offered by the Slovak import company.
          If the places are outside, you should check a very good map from that time.
          If you can not find it on the map, then you either have a very wrong spelling, or the place is still in another territory.
          In general, I prefer to answer mails , that are signed.

          Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

          Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
          older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
          stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
          that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
          Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
          assistance.

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
          > Dear Jim,
          > I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
          > Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
          > 83 Magyar
          > 462 German
          > 219 Slovak
          > of them were
          > 320 Roman catholics
          > 9 Greek catholics
          > 2 Orthodox
          > 397 Lutheran
          > 9 Lutheran reformed
          > 27 Jewish
          > They all lived in 135 houses.
          > I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places
          from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
          > Regards,
          > Vladimir

        • John M,
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
            At 02:02 PM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
            >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
            >
            >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
            >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

            The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
            villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
            with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
            area it might help.

            John
          • jdubelko@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
              Vladimir,

              Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

              Thank you.

              Jim Dubelko
            • nhasior@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                hi Jim,
                i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
                that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
                regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
                who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
                families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
                etc.
                many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
                same house number.
                Noreen
              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                  Dear Jim,
                  What I have is statistical data, not families.
                  Kravany 1910
                  Inhabitants 664
                  magyar 1
                  german 4
                  slovak 632
                  other 27

                  Religion
                  Rc 661
                  jewish 3

                  homes 137

                  Kubachy 1910

                  inhab 1591
                  magyar 3
                  german 22
                  slovak 1519
                  other 47

                  religion
                  Rc 1569
                  Gc 1
                  Ev 1
                  jewish 20

                  homes 290

                  Hranovnica 1910

                  inhabitants 1208
                  magyar 11
                  german 42
                  slovak 1155

                  religion
                  Rc 1048
                  Gc 5
                  Ev 112
                  jewish 43

                  homes 219

                  Regards,
                  Vladimir

                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                    Dear Noreen,
                    I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                    Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                    Regards,
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                        At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                        >Dear Noreen,
                        >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                        >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                        >Regards,
                        >Vladimir

                        Vladimir,

                        Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                        Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                        1902. D'akujem.

                        John
                      • Konekta
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                          John,
                          Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                          Vladimir

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                            At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                            >John,
                            >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                            >Vladimir

                            Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                            itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                            villages at:

                            http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                            I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                            Krive. D'akujem.

                            John
                          • nhasior@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                              Hello Vladimir,
                              is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                              best wishes,
                              Noreen
                            • Konekta
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                Dear Noreen,
                                Yes all three are available.
                                Regards,
                                Vladimir

                                Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                  John,
                                  Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                    Vladimir,

                                    Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                                    Jim Dubelko
                                  • John M,
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                      At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                      >John,
                                      >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                      >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                      >Vladimir

                                      Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                      Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                      yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                      Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                      recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                      this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                      village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                      name the village is listed under?

                                      John

                                    • Konekta
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                        Dear John,
                                        I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                        My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                        Regards,
                                        Vladimir
                                        >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                        >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                        >Vladimir

                                        Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                        Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                        yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                        Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                        recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                        this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                        village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                        name the village is listed under?

                                        John

                                      • Dan Kisha
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                          Vladimir:

                                          Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                          Zehna, Slovakia.

                                          Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                          >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                          >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                          the list.
                                          >Regards,
                                          >Vladimir

                                          Vladimir,

                                          Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                          Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                          1902. D'akujem.

                                          John

                                          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                            At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                            >Dear John,
                                            >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                            >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                            >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                            >Regards,
                                            >Vladimir

                                            Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                            their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                            another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                            John M.
                                          • Donna Lachney
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                              Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                              Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                                At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                                >Vladimir:
                                                >
                                                >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                >
                                                >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                Dan,

                                                From the FHLC :

                                                Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                                Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                                Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                                John M.

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                  Dear Donna,
                                                  My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                                  Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                                  Regards,
                                                  Vladimir

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                    Dear Dan,
                                                    Long time no see!
                                                    Yes, they are all there.
                                                    Regards,
                                                    Vladimir
                                                    >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                    >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                    >
                                                    >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                    Dan,

                                                    From the FHLC :

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                                      Dear Vladimir,
                                                      Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                                      Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                                      Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,