Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • jdubelko@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 6 7:56 PM
      Vladimir,

      Well, I don't speak Slovak very well, and my translating cousin doesn't speak English much better, so perhaps I misunderstood the significance of the village being referred to as a "German" village. I just offered it for whatever it might be worth with the hope that it might have in some way helped the member with the question seeking to locate her grandmother's village.

      Jim Dubelko

      Jim Dubelko

      In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:55:37 +0100, "Konekta" <konekta@...> writes:

      >Dear Jim,
      >This can hardly be true.
      >Germans, while here, were quite different from the Slovaks, not only in language.
      >After WW1, they all either left or were expelled. So many german villages were almost totally empty.They left everything there.
      >Such villages were then settled with people from Kysuce, Orava and other poor places.Some of the new settlers came from the Czech Sudety area, where they were settled to from Kysuce in the first place.They brought with them everything, that they could take from the german homes in Sudety.
      >Many then moved again to larger cities like Martin, to work in the factories.
      >German woodden homes were dismantled and moved to other locations to serve as weekend houses for the new political elite.
      >I am researching german genealogy and had a chance to thoroughy research some of the german villages, also concerning the ownership of the land and houses.
      >In many cases, what was left by the Germans was also settled with Gipsies, that ruined everything.
      >Large farms, buildings etc did not have any place in the new communist system. They were left to decay.
      >If you take a look at Levoca, for example. It is a medieval jewel of architecture. However, this place is full of Gipsies, that are living there and have no appreciation of history.
      >The communist regime was practical, without regard to historical values.According to them, the past was all wrong and the decay of beautiful buildings like houses, mansions, castles (with few exceptions) should witness, how rotten the past system was.
      >Vladimir

    • Konekta
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 7 12:30 AM
        Dear Jim,
        I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
        Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
        83 Magyar
        462 German
        219 Slovak
        of them were
        320 Roman catholics
        9 Greek catholics
        2 Orthodox
        397 Lutheran
        9 Lutheran reformed
        27 Jewish
        They all lived in 135 houses.
        I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
        Regards,
        Vladimir

        Well, I don't speak Slovak very well, and my translating cousin doesn't speak English much better, so perhaps I misunderstood the significance of the village being referred to as a "German" village. I just offered it for whatever it might be worth with the hope that it might have in some way helped the member with the question seeking to locate her grandmother's village.

        Jim Dubelko

        Jim Dubelko

        In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:55:37 +0100, "Konekta" <konekta@...> writes:

        >Dear Jim,
        >This can hardly be true.
        >Germans, while here, were quite different from the Slovaks, not only in language.
        >After WW1, they all either left or were expelled. So many german villages were almost totally empty.They left everything there.
        >Such villages were then settled with people from Kysuce, Orava and other poor places.Some of the new settlers came from the Czech Sudety area, where they were settled to from Kysuce in the first place.They brought with them everything, that they could take from the german homes in Sudety.
        >Many then moved again to larger cities like Martin, to work in the factories.
        >German woodden homes were dismantled and moved to other locations to serve as weekend houses for the new political elite.
        >I am researching german genealogy and had a chance to thoroughy research some of the german villages, also concerning the ownership of the land and houses.
        >In many cases, what was left by the Germans was also settled with Gipsies, that ruined everything.
        >Large farms, buildings etc did not have any place in the new communist system. They were left to decay.
        >If you take a look at Levoca, for example. It is a medieval jewel of architecture. However, this place is full of Gipsies, that are living there and have no appreciation of history.
        >The communist regime was practical, without regard to historical values.According to them, the past was all wrong and the decay of beautiful buildings like houses, mansions, castles (with few exceptions) should witness, how rotten the past system was.
        >Vladimir

      • squinch42
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 7 6:02 AM
          Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

          Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
          older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
          stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
          that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
          Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
          assistance.

          Service.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Service.

        • Konekta
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 7 9:38 AM
            Sorry, but Orlov is in Saris, not in Spis. I will have Saris data before the end of the year.
            Re older names;
            If the places are on the territory of present Slovakia, then you should have the "Majtan" book. This book has been offered by the Slovak import company.
            If the places are outside, you should check a very good map from that time.
            If you can not find it on the map, then you either have a very wrong spelling, or the place is still in another territory.
            In general, I prefer to answer mails , that are signed.

            Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

            Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
            older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
            stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
            that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
            Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
            assistance.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
            > Dear Jim,
            > I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
            > Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
            > 83 Magyar
            > 462 German
            > 219 Slovak
            > of them were
            > 320 Roman catholics
            > 9 Greek catholics
            > 2 Orthodox
            > 397 Lutheran
            > 9 Lutheran reformed
            > 27 Jewish
            > They all lived in 135 houses.
            > I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places
            from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
            > Regards,
            > Vladimir

          • John M,
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 7 10:51 PM
              At 02:02 PM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
              >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
              >
              >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
              >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

              The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
              villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
              with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
              area it might help.

              John
            • jdubelko@aol.com
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 8 1:02 AM
                Vladimir,

                Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

                Thank you.

                Jim Dubelko
              • nhasior@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 8 3:25 AM
                  hi Jim,
                  i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
                  that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
                  regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
                  who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
                  families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
                  etc.
                  many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
                  same house number.
                  Noreen
                • Konekta
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 8 5:16 AM
                    Dear Jim,
                    What I have is statistical data, not families.
                    Kravany 1910
                    Inhabitants 664
                    magyar 1
                    german 4
                    slovak 632
                    other 27

                    Religion
                    Rc 661
                    jewish 3

                    homes 137

                    Kubachy 1910

                    inhab 1591
                    magyar 3
                    german 22
                    slovak 1519
                    other 47

                    religion
                    Rc 1569
                    Gc 1
                    Ev 1
                    jewish 20

                    homes 290

                    Hranovnica 1910

                    inhabitants 1208
                    magyar 11
                    german 42
                    slovak 1155

                    religion
                    Rc 1048
                    Gc 5
                    Ev 112
                    jewish 43

                    homes 219

                    Regards,
                    Vladimir

                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8 5:30 AM
                      Dear Noreen,
                      I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                      Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                      Regards,
                      Vladimir

                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8 5:32 AM
                        This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
                        Vladimir

                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 8 7:28 AM
                          At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                          >Dear Noreen,
                          >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                          >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                          >Regards,
                          >Vladimir

                          Vladimir,

                          Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                          Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                          1902. D'akujem.

                          John
                        • Konekta
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 8 8:41 AM
                            John,
                            Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                            Vladimir

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 8 12:28 PM
                              At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                              >John,
                              >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                              >Vladimir

                              Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                              itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                              villages at:

                              http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                              I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                              Krive. D'akujem.

                              John
                            • nhasior@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 8 7:45 PM
                                Hello Vladimir,
                                is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                                best wishes,
                                Noreen
                              • Konekta
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 8 11:58 PM
                                  Dear Noreen,
                                  Yes all three are available.
                                  Regards,
                                  Vladimir

                                  Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 9 12:06 AM
                                    John,
                                    Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 9 1:32 AM
                                      Vladimir,

                                      Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                                      Jim Dubelko
                                    • John M,
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 9 8:16 AM
                                        At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                        >John,
                                        >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                        >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                        >Vladimir

                                        Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                        Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                        yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                        Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                        recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                        this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                        village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                        name the village is listed under?

                                        John

                                      • Konekta
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 9 10:11 AM
                                          Dear John,
                                          I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                          My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                          Regards,
                                          Vladimir
                                          >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                          >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                          >Vladimir

                                          Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                          Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                          yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                          Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                          recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                          this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                          village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                          name the village is listed under?

                                          John

                                        • Dan Kisha
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 9 2:31 PM
                                            Vladimir:

                                            Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                            Zehna, Slovakia.

                                            Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                            >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                            >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                            the list.
                                            >Regards,
                                            >Vladimir

                                            Vladimir,

                                            Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                            Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                            1902. D'akujem.

                                            John

                                            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 9 2:39 PM
                                              At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                              >Dear John,
                                              >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                              >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                              >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                              >Regards,
                                              >Vladimir

                                              Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                              their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                              another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                              John M.
                                            • Donna Lachney
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 9 2:41 PM
                                                Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                                Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 9 6:29 PM
                                                  At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                                  >Vladimir:
                                                  >
                                                  >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                  >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                  >
                                                  >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                  Dan,

                                                  From the FHLC :

                                                  Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                                  Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                                  Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                                  John M.

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 10 12:18 AM
                                                    Dear Donna,
                                                    My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                                    Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                                    Regards,
                                                    Vladimir

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 10 12:24 AM
                                                      Dear Dan,
                                                      Long time no see!
                                                      Yes, they are all there.
                                                      Regards,
                                                      Vladimir
                                                      >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                      >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                      >
                                                      >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                      Dan,

                                                      From the FHLC :

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 11 7:11 PM
                                                        Dear Vladimir,
                                                        Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                                        Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                                        Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,