Re: First Name--which to use?

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 1999
      Maura,

      I would like to thank Jeff for asking and you for answering the
      question. I find your answers great - concise, clear and diplomatic as
      well. "Preferred language of the records at that time" is great!

      In just going through my first film, I had to quickly fall into your
      third, 'mixed' method, as individual names varied so much that I must
      plan on finding them under a different name. Using your method I hope
      to be ready with clear notes to minimize repeat lookups.

      Ron

      MATVIAK, STEFANIAK, KNAP, VALYO/VALLO, SOMOS and variations

      Maura Petzolt wrote:

      > From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
      >
      > The Hungarian for Elizabeth is Erze'bet.
      >
      > When you find something in the LDS IGI or even in searching films,
      > you'll see the name written in the preferred language of the records at
      > that time, which may be Latin, Slovak or Hungarian depending on when and
      > where you are searching.
      >
      > As for keeping the names in the records, people have different opinions
      > and ways of doing it.
      >
      > Some "translate" everything into English, which is easier for those in
      > the US, but may lead to confusion when someone tries to match with your
      > info or someone later tries to confirm it with the actual records.
      >
      > Some use the name as its written in records, which may be several
      > different things.
      >
      > Then there's the "comprimise" theory, which I personally prefer. In my
      > database I put the first name as it's most commonly found or known
      > (usually the English version if they were in US , Hungarian spelling if
      > they were in AH) but in my notes I detail the explanation of the name
      > and where I found any variants of it. In a few cases I have even noted
      > in the name fields of another name the person went by, such as my
      > great-uncle Bela, who changed his name to William in the US (Bela has no
      > English equivalent, Bela =Bela) so he's listed as William (Bela) SILHAVY
      > because even his first records in the US, such as ship manifest and
      > naturalization records are Bela, but his death cert is William.
      > Otherwise that would really confuse someone in later years.
      >
      > Now I suppose this has really confused you even more! Basically, there
      > are different ways to do this, I would only advise you to be consistent
      > in whatever method you do choose.
      >
      > I'd be interested in hearing if anyone does anything different than
      > these 3 ways, which are the most common.
      >
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      > Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
      > sabinov@...
      > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Andy Verostko
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 1999
        Jeff,
        I'm sure you will get some very good info on names from the group
        and here is my opinion.

        The child was baptized at the church. "What name do you give?"
        asked the priest. "Juraj", was the answer. In the the records,
        the priest wrote Georgius because he was using Latin at that time.
        A few years later, a priest wrote Georgy because he was using the
        Hungarian form as the official language. However, in the vernacular,
        at home and in everyday life, he was "Juraj". So, in documentation,
        I have it recorded as written. In my data base for general
        presentation, I use the Slovak form if I believe him to be Slovak.
        There are cases where some ancestors of my wife considered
        themselves German and were generally baptized using the German
        Name form and that is the way is is in my data base. Notes define
        the reasons but the common visibility is the ancestry and language
        of that individual.

        --

        Regards

        Andy Verostko