Re: [S-R] German villages in Slovakia

  • jdubelko@aol.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 5, 2002
      Just a short comment on this thread. My wife and I were visiting relatives in the Poprad area in the Summer of 2001. One day we visited a church in Spisske-Sobota. On the road to that village, we passed through another village which my cousin referred to as a German village. I got the impression that, if the people there were not German, they at least had continued a lot of German traditions and culture to the present day.

      Jim Dubelko
    • Konekta
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
        Dear Jim,
        This can hardly be true.
        Germans, while here, were quite different from the Slovaks, not only in language.
        After WW1, they all either left or were expelled. So many german villages were almost totally empty.They left everything there.
        Such villages were then settled with people from Kysuce, Orava and other poor places.Some of the new settlers came from the Czech Sudety area, where they were settled to from Kysuce in the first place.They brought with them everything, that they could take from the german homes in Sudety.
        Many then moved again to larger cities like Martin, to work in the factories.
        German woodden homes were dismantled and moved to other locations to serve as weekend houses for the new political elite.
        I am researching german genealogy and had a chance to thoroughy research some of the german villages, also concerning the ownership of the land and houses.
        In many cases, what was left by the Germans was also settled with Gipsies, that ruined everything.
        Large farms, buildings etc did not have any place in the new communist system. They were left to decay.
        If you take a look at Levoca, for example. It is a medieval jewel of architecture. However, this place is full of Gipsies, that are living there and have no appreciation of history.
        The communist regime was practical, without regard to historical values.According to them, the past was all wrong and the decay of beautiful buildings like houses, mansions, castles (with few exceptions) should witness, how rotten the past system was.
        Vladimir

        Just a short comment on this thread. My wife and I were visiting relatives in the Poprad area in the Summer of 2001. One day we visited a church in Spisske-Sobota. On the road to that village, we passed through another village which my cousin referred to as a German village. I got the impression that, if the people there were not German, they at least had continued a lot of German traditions and culture to the present day.

        Jim Dubelko

      • Frank
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., jdubelko@a... wrote:
          > Just a short comment on this thread. My wife and I were visiting
          relatives in the Poprad area in the Summer of 2001. One day we
          visited a church in Spisske-Sobota. On the road to that village, we
          passed through another village which my cousin referred to as a German
          village. I got the impression that, if the people there were not
          German, they at least had continued a lot of German traditions and
          culture to the present day.

          > Jim Dubelko

          Jim,

          Of course, there were German (echt) villages located in the Spis^
          z^upa (Szepes megye) region early on, say the 12th c.
          Spis^ská Sobota (Sk) Szepesszombat (H) is located 160 miles ENE of
          Bratislava and near Poprad (H) Poprad (Sk) Deutschendorf (G)

          What has happened is that following WW 2 and later independence, a
          new brand of country ethnicity has developed in Europe.
          Czech, German, Slovak, Polish, Ukrainian, or Hungarian etc., it
          doesn't matter which ethnicity.
          In the interests of each's nationalism, old history is rewritten.

          The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1646-1896)
          for Spis^ská Sobota, Slovakia.
          Text in Latin and Hungarian.

          The LDS-Mormons also filmed its Lutheran parish church records
          (1599-1942)
          Text in Latin, Hungarian and GERMAN.

          Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
          owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
          Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
          intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

          Among the earliest German colonies were those begun in the late
          12th c in Transylvania and in the mountainous area of Spis^/Zips/
          Szepes county in northern Hungary near the towns of Levoc^a (Sv)/
          Leutschau (G) and Kez^marok (Sk)/Késmárk (H)/Käsmarkt(G)
          The Spis^ enclave was expanded through special privileges granted in
          1224 and 1271.
          It was at this time that the "Saxons" (actually not from Saxony but
          from the Rhineland) came in large numbers.

          The German colonists brought legal models that formed the basis of
          their special privileged status. Called 'German City Law' these meant
          that they could within their "new cities" direct their economic
          activity and govern themseleves through an elected city council.
          South German Law (based on models of Nürnberg or Vienna) was adopted
          for Levoc^a (Sk) Lo"cse (H) Leutschau (G), Kos^ice (Sk) Kassa (H)
          Kaschau (G),Kez^marok (Sk) Késmárk (H) Käsmarkt (G), and Pres^ov (Sk)
          Epérjes (H) Preschau (G)
        • jdubelko@aol.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 6, 2002
            Vladimir,

            Well, I don't speak Slovak very well, and my translating cousin doesn't speak English much better, so perhaps I misunderstood the significance of the village being referred to as a "German" village. I just offered it for whatever it might be worth with the hope that it might have in some way helped the member with the question seeking to locate her grandmother's village.

            Jim Dubelko

            Jim Dubelko

            In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:55:37 +0100, "Konekta" <konekta@...> writes:

            >Dear Jim,
            >This can hardly be true.
            >Germans, while here, were quite different from the Slovaks, not only in language.
            >After WW1, they all either left or were expelled. So many german villages were almost totally empty.They left everything there.
            >Such villages were then settled with people from Kysuce, Orava and other poor places.Some of the new settlers came from the Czech Sudety area, where they were settled to from Kysuce in the first place.They brought with them everything, that they could take from the german homes in Sudety.
            >Many then moved again to larger cities like Martin, to work in the factories.
            >German woodden homes were dismantled and moved to other locations to serve as weekend houses for the new political elite.
            >I am researching german genealogy and had a chance to thoroughy research some of the german villages, also concerning the ownership of the land and houses.
            >In many cases, what was left by the Germans was also settled with Gipsies, that ruined everything.
            >Large farms, buildings etc did not have any place in the new communist system. They were left to decay.
            >If you take a look at Levoca, for example. It is a medieval jewel of architecture. However, this place is full of Gipsies, that are living there and have no appreciation of history.
            >The communist regime was practical, without regard to historical values.According to them, the past was all wrong and the decay of beautiful buildings like houses, mansions, castles (with few exceptions) should witness, how rotten the past system was.
            >Vladimir

          • Konekta
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
              Dear Jim,
              I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
              Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
              83 Magyar
              462 German
              219 Slovak
              of them were
              320 Roman catholics
              9 Greek catholics
              2 Orthodox
              397 Lutheran
              9 Lutheran reformed
              27 Jewish
              They all lived in 135 houses.
              I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
              Regards,
              Vladimir

              Well, I don't speak Slovak very well, and my translating cousin doesn't speak English much better, so perhaps I misunderstood the significance of the village being referred to as a "German" village. I just offered it for whatever it might be worth with the hope that it might have in some way helped the member with the question seeking to locate her grandmother's village.

              Jim Dubelko

              Jim Dubelko

              In a message dated Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:55:37 +0100, "Konekta" <konekta@...> writes:

              >Dear Jim,
              >This can hardly be true.
              >Germans, while here, were quite different from the Slovaks, not only in language.
              >After WW1, they all either left or were expelled. So many german villages were almost totally empty.They left everything there.
              >Such villages were then settled with people from Kysuce, Orava and other poor places.Some of the new settlers came from the Czech Sudety area, where they were settled to from Kysuce in the first place.They brought with them everything, that they could take from the german homes in Sudety.
              >Many then moved again to larger cities like Martin, to work in the factories.
              >German woodden homes were dismantled and moved to other locations to serve as weekend houses for the new political elite.
              >I am researching german genealogy and had a chance to thoroughy research some of the german villages, also concerning the ownership of the land and houses.
              >In many cases, what was left by the Germans was also settled with Gipsies, that ruined everything.
              >Large farms, buildings etc did not have any place in the new communist system. They were left to decay.
              >If you take a look at Levoca, for example. It is a medieval jewel of architecture. However, this place is full of Gipsies, that are living there and have no appreciation of history.
              >The communist regime was practical, without regard to historical values.According to them, the past was all wrong and the decay of beautiful buildings like houses, mansions, castles (with few exceptions) should witness, how rotten the past system was.
              >Vladimir

            • squinch42
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

                Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
                older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
                stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
                that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
                Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
                assistance.

                Service.

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                Service.

              • Konekta
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                  Sorry, but Orlov is in Saris, not in Spis. I will have Saris data before the end of the year.
                  Re older names;
                  If the places are on the territory of present Slovakia, then you should have the "Majtan" book. This book has been offered by the Slovak import company.
                  If the places are outside, you should check a very good map from that time.
                  If you can not find it on the map, then you either have a very wrong spelling, or the place is still in another territory.
                  In general, I prefer to answer mails , that are signed.

                  Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?

                  Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
                  older/other names for the smaller villages in the area? I have
                  stumbled across a reference to one in a marraige record in Orlo
                  that's not on my old map of the Rusyn area. It looks to be either
                  Kosanen or Kosailne (the handwriting is bad). Thanks for the
                  assistance.

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" <konekta@n...> wrote:
                  > Dear Jim,
                  > I am very happy to have the 1890 Census data for Spis.
                  > Szepes-Sombat had 496 inhabitants, made of
                  > 83 Magyar
                  > 462 German
                  > 219 Slovak
                  > of them were
                  > 320 Roman catholics
                  > 9 Greek catholics
                  > 2 Orthodox
                  > 397 Lutheran
                  > 9 Lutheran reformed
                  > 27 Jewish
                  > They all lived in 135 houses.
                  > I'll be also happy to supply such data for couple of more places
                  from Spis, if anyone would be interested.
                  > Regards,
                  > Vladimir

                • John M,
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 7, 2002
                    At 02:02 PM 11/7/2002 +0000, you wrote:
                    >Could you provide me with the 1890 data for Orlov (SK) Orlo (H)?
                    >
                    >Also, do you know if there a centralized data source providing the
                    >older/other names for the smaller villages in the area?

                    The book Nazvy Obci Slovenskej Republiky lists the name for all the
                    villages and towns from 1773 to 1997. I was unable to locate any villages
                    with your spellings. If you could post a scan to the Slovak-Roots file
                    area it might help.

                    John
                  • jdubelko@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                      Vladimir,

                      Do you have 1890 census data for any of the following villages in Spis: Kravany, Kubachy (Spisske-Bystre), and Grenicz (Hranovnica)? I have ancestors from all three villages and would enjoy reading census data about them.

                      Thank you.

                      Jim Dubelko
                    • nhasior@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                        hi Jim,
                        i just requested census films from LDS for Spis and Saros counties. i hope
                        that it will be possible to read them. this is an entire diversion from my
                        regular research in LDS films, and i hope that they are readable for someone
                        who does not speak the language. it would be nice to learn what they
                        families did for a living and who lived where and with what other family etc
                        etc.
                        many times reading films i have noticed that so many people live under the
                        same house number.
                        Noreen
                      • Konekta
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                          Dear Jim,
                          What I have is statistical data, not families.
                          Kravany 1910
                          Inhabitants 664
                          magyar 1
                          german 4
                          slovak 632
                          other 27

                          Religion
                          Rc 661
                          jewish 3

                          homes 137

                          Kubachy 1910

                          inhab 1591
                          magyar 3
                          german 22
                          slovak 1519
                          other 47

                          religion
                          Rc 1569
                          Gc 1
                          Ev 1
                          jewish 20

                          homes 290

                          Hranovnica 1910

                          inhabitants 1208
                          magyar 11
                          german 42
                          slovak 1155

                          religion
                          Rc 1048
                          Gc 5
                          Ev 112
                          jewish 43

                          homes 219

                          Regards,
                          Vladimir

                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                            Dear Noreen,
                            I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                            Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                            Regards,
                            Vladimir

                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                              This book "Nazvy obci Slovenskej Republiky" is generally referred to as "Majtan", after the last author Milan Majtan.
                              Vladimir

                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                At 02:30 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                >Dear Noreen,
                                >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on the list.
                                >Regards,
                                >Vladimir

                                Vladimir,

                                Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of
                                Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863 to
                                1902. D'akujem.

                                John
                              • Konekta
                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                  John,
                                  Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                                  Vladimir

                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                    At 05:41 PM 11/8/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                    >John,
                                    >Yes, Krize 1869 census is available.
                                    >Vladimir

                                    Thank you. Is it incorporated with the census of another town or listed by
                                    itself? It seems to be eluding me. I checked the 398 listed Saros
                                    villages at:

                                    http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C180%2C0&titleno=993125&disp=N%E9psz%E1ml%E1l%E1s%2C_1869

                                    I couldn't find a listing for Kriz^e or Krizse I did find 2 listings for
                                    Krive. D'akujem.

                                    John
                                  • nhasior@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                      Hello Vladimir,
                                      is Raslavice or Presov or Podhradik in this census for Saros? Thanks.
                                      best wishes,
                                      Noreen
                                    • Konekta
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 8, 2002
                                        Dear Noreen,
                                        Yes all three are available.
                                        Regards,
                                        Vladimir

                                        Not all censuses for every village survived. Therefore the Levoca and Presov archives have lists of available censuses.

                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                          John,
                                          Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then, every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.

                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                            Vladimir,

                                            Thank you for the information on the villages of Kravany, Kubachy, and Hranovnica. It's all very interesting. I had no idea that Hranovnica was so much larger than Kravany. My grandparents came over to America just a few years before 1910, so information from that period is very meaningful to me. Thanks again.

                                            Jim Dubelko
                                          • John M,
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                              At 09:06 AM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                              >John,
                                              >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                              >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                              >Vladimir

                                              Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                              Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                              yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                              Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                              recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                              this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                              village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                              name the village is listed under?

                                              John

                                            • Konekta
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                                Dear John,
                                                I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                                My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                                Regards,
                                                Vladimir
                                                >Every village or town census is a separate bundle of papers.And then,
                                                >every house has it's own set of sheets with all the inhabitants etc.
                                                >Vladimir

                                                Thanks. I realized that when I got information from the 1869 census for
                                                Niklova (now Mikulasova). You said the 1869 census for Krize was available
                                                yet the village is not listed under Krize, Krizse (1863-1902), or
                                                Kiskereszt (1907-1913) on the Family History Library Catalog site. If I
                                                recall correctly, there are 398 Saros villages listed in the 1869 census at
                                                this site. If the census is available, they either neglected to enter the
                                                village or used a name that is not listed in "Majtan". Do you know what
                                                name the village is listed under?

                                                John

                                              • Dan Kisha
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                                  Vladimir:

                                                  Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                  Zehna, Slovakia.

                                                  Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                  >I have a listing of available 1869 censuses for Spis and Saris.
                                                  >Lubica, Lubicke kupele, Kezmarok and Liptovska Teplicka are not on
                                                  the list.
                                                  >Regards,
                                                  >Vladimir

                                                  Vladimir,

                                                  Can you find Kriz^e in S^aris^. I found the neighboring villagers of

                                                  Livov and Bogliarka but not Krize, which was known as Krizse from 1863
                                                  1902. D'akujem.

                                                  John

                                                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                                    At 07:11 PM 11/9/2002 +0100, you wrote:
                                                    >Dear John,
                                                    >I am not referring to LDS lists.
                                                    >My list from the Presov archive lists the village as Krize in normal
                                                    >slovak spelling. It was, then, in the Gaboltov district.
                                                    >Regards,
                                                    >Vladimir

                                                    Thanks Vlad. I'll check with the LDS to see if they made a mistake in
                                                    their index. Krive doesn't seem big enough to warrant a continuation on
                                                    another microfilm. They list a Krive and a folyt. (continuation) Krive.

                                                    John M.
                                                  • Donna Lachney
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                                      Dear Vladimir, In your census listing for 1869, does it contain Iglo? It would be interesting to find out. I appreciate your information.
                                                      Donna Lachney Lacsni, Mlinarcik, Gajdos, Jerscik(?)

                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 9, 2002
                                                        At 05:31 PM 11/9/2002 -0500, you wrote:
                                                        >Vladimir:
                                                        >
                                                        >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                        >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                        >
                                                        >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                        Dan,

                                                        From the FHLC :

                                                        Vaspataka (Zelezník) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189409 Item 9 ]

                                                        Girált (Giraltovce) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2189407 Item 7 ]

                                                        Zsegnye (Zehna) - VAULT INTL Film [ 2162309 Item 5 ]

                                                        John M.

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                          Dear Donna,
                                                          My listing does not show Spisska Nova Ves (Iglo). It does show Spisska Kapitula, which was an internal church administrative body. I have not been researching this yet, so I can not tell you what it encompasses.
                                                          Can find out this on Monday for you.
                                                          Regards,
                                                          Vladimir

                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 10, 2002
                                                            Dear Dan,
                                                            Long time no see!
                                                            Yes, they are all there.
                                                            Regards,
                                                            Vladimir
                                                            >Do you have a listing in the 1869 census for Zeleznik, Giraltovce and
                                                            >Zehna, Slovakia.
                                                            >
                                                            >Dan Kisha daniel.kisha@...

                                                            Dan,

                                                            From the FHLC :

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 11, 2002
                                                              Dear Vladimir,
                                                              Hi and Thank you for the information. I look forward to hearing any information you may come across. I have my great grandmother and great grandfather's baptism papers from 1881. I just can't make out the church it was catholic, that is all I know. I would love to find out more, as all of us on here.
                                                              Donna Lacsni, Gajdos, Mlinarcik, Jerscik

                                                              Konekta <konekta@...> wrote:Dear Donna,