Re: [S-R] naming traditions

  • nhasior@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 5, 2002
      Frank,
      thanks for the information.
      My grandother's father's name was Mucha and sometimes spelled Muha with the
      omlats on the u.
      her mother's name was Jankura.
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., nhasior@a... wrote:
        > Frank,
        > thanks for the information.
        > My grandother's father's name was Mucha and sometimes spelled Muha
        with the
        > omlats on the u.
        > her mother's name was Jankura.

        The surnames Muha and Mucha are found in Sloavkia and elsewhere.

        The German telephone white pages list 250+ surnames Muha and 250+
        surnames Mucha.

        Ellis Island Records (EIR) 1892-1924 list 109 surname Muha who
        emigrated to the U.S. from Europe via Ellis Island (NYC)
        EIR also list 1048 surnames Mucha who emigrated to the U.S. from
        Europe via Ellis Island (NYC)
        From childhood Slovak (English was my third language) I remember that
        mucha means a fly (a winged insect)

        The online Slovakia telephone directory lists 3 surnames Mucha under
        Stará L'ubovn^a, 3 under Kez^marok, and 10 under Spis^ská Nová Ves.
        The directory also lists 2 surnames Jankura under Stará L'ubovn^a, 7
        under Kez^marok, 2 under Presov^, and 6 under Kos^ice.

        Many surnames Mucha emigrated from Poland (Mucha also means a fly in
        Polish)

        What about the German villages in the Spis^ region of Slovakia ?
        Interesting region.
        Germans, Slovaks, Rusyns, Croatians, Hungarians, and Poles.
        Don't know which group settled here first in 12th, 14th, and 16th
        centuries.

        Not all people in East Central Europe who later spoke German
        owed their heritage to German settlers. Many were descendants of
        Germanized Slavs and in some cases Magyars whose ancestors had
        intermarried with neighbors of Germanic origin.

        Among the earliest German colonies were those begun in the late
        12th c in Transylvania and in the mountainous area of Spis^/Zips/
        Szepes county in northern Hungary near the towns of Levoc^a (Sv)/
        Leutschau (G) and Kez^marok (Sk)/Késmárk (H)/Käsmarkt(G)
        The Spis^ enclave was expanded through special privileges granted in
        1224 and 1271.
        It was at this time that the "Saxons" (actually not from Saxony but
        from the Rhineland) came in large numbers.
        It was during the 13th c that organized efforts were undertaken to
        settle Carpathian Rus' with East Slavic farmers and shepherds from
        neighboring Galicija (Poland)

        Early in 15th c the 16 towns in the northen Spis^ region of central
        Slovakia (including Stará L'ubovn^a and L'ubica)- near to but not
        including the royal Saxon towns of Käsmark and Leutschau - were sold
        to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.
      • Ron Matviyak
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 6, 2002
          Of course don't forget the most famous Mucha, the Czech artist Alphons Mucha
          of art nouveau fame. I believe I read where his name Mucha = Fly.

          to start, check out
          http://www.mucha.cz/index.phtml?S=home&Lang=EN

          Ron

          > My grandother's father's name was Mucha and sometimes spelled Muha
          with the
          > omlats on the u.
          > her mother's name was Jankura.

          The surnames Muha and Mucha are found in Sloavkia and elsewhere.

          The German telephone white pages list 250+ surnames Muha and 250+
          surnames Mucha.

          Ellis Island Records (EIR) 1892-1924 list 109 surname Muha who
          emigrated to the U.S. from Europe via Ellis Island (NYC)
          EIR also list 1048 surnames Mucha who emigrated to the U.S. from
          Europe via Ellis Island (NYC)
          From childhood Slovak (English was my third language) I remember that

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 8, 2002
            Thanks Ron for the website on Mucha. my aunt sent me pictures of the
            pipeline and a highway after the earthquake. i am glad that you were not
            hurt
            Noreen
          • nhasior@aol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 9, 2002
              Thank you Frank, for all the information about the settlers and historical
              facts on particular areas of Slovakia.
              i wish that our own History courses taught during high school and college
              would contain more history about Eastern Europe. even today's Eastern
              European courses mostly deal with the Holocaust and The Soviet Union. i
              looked into the curriculum for the Soviet Union and find that it mostly deals
              with Russia itself. so it is interesting to learn from other members of this
              list a partial history of Slovak Republic and some of the border countries.
              Information on the Holocaust is very stagnated and does not contain more than
              we have heard over and over. and no details. The Diary of Anne Frank is
              still the required reading for these courses. I have learned far more on
              this website about Eastern Europe than in any general course given in this
              country.
              Noreen