Writing a letter to the City of Gajary

  • kevin zawrazk
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 5, 2002
      Hi All,

      I need some help....I want to write a letter to the
      "Mayor" of the town Gajary to ask about how the city
      was founded and the general history of the city. Also,
      want to ask the "mayor" if they know about my
      relatives that were from the town. The problem is
      first, I don't know who to write to (is there a
      "mayor" in the town of Gajary, like we have in the
      US); second - can I write to the "mayor" in english,
      if not where can I search to translate my letter to
      Slovak.

      Thanks for eveyones help,

      Kevin Zawrazky

      HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
      http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/
    • Sylvia Ofei-Kwatia
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
        Hi Kevin
        the 'mayor' of Gajary is called 'starosta' in Slovakian. My parents live about 10 km from Gajary. If you need any help in translating your letter I might be of some help.
        Hope this information helps.
        Best regards
        Sylvia
        kevin zawrazk <zawrazky@...> wrote:Hi All,

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
          Dear Kevin,

          Little bit about village of Gajary:

          GAJARY
          Gajary were founded in 1373. they belonged to Earls form Saint Juraj and Pezinok, in 1553 they belonged to Seredy monarchs and monarchy of Plavec. Gajary was the residence of 30th station, the toll station for crossing the river Morava. Leopold I. given the vilage the fairing right and since then the village started to develop as the lordship town. All the money were taken away from Gajary during Racoczi rebellion. In 1720 Gajary had 110 tax payers, in 1828 had 381 houses and 2852 inhabitants. They grew and sold vegetables, traded with cattle, they made scourge baskets. The brandy factory was in service in Gajary after 2nd half of 19th century.

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 12, 2002
            Dear Sylvia,

            All I can say is WOW!!! I had no idea of the history,
            where can I find more information about Gajary?

            Thank you very much, you made my day !

            Best Regards,

            Kevin

            http://launch.yahoo.com/u2