Re: [S-R] Need some advice

  • Richard D. Custer
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 4, 2002
      Robin,
      Some links for you to check out--

      on Mukachevo:
      http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Mukachevo/

      a very old history of the Eparchy of Mukachevo (old name Munkacs)
      http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10634a.htm

      Information on the Zakarpatska Oblast (Transcarpathian District) of Ukraine:
      http://www.zakarpattja.westportal.net/eng/5.html

      Mukachevo is a city in Ukraine. The Zakarpatska Oblast of Ukraine was
      originally part of the Kingdom of Hungary until the end of WWI, when it
      became part of the first Czechoslovak Republic as Subcarpathian Rus' /
      Carpatho-Ruthenia. After 1938 it was taken over by Hungary but part of the
      territory declared independence briefly as Carpatho-Ukraine. By 1945 the
      territory was given to the Soviet Union & became part of the Ukrainian SSR
      as "Zakarpatska Oblast" (Transcarpathian Region). Since 1991 it's part of
      the independent Republic of Ukraine.

      The Byzantine/Greek Catholic Eparchy (diocese) of Mukachevo actually is now
      headquartered in the city of Uzhhorod, where the bishop lives and the
      cathedral is. It covers all Greek Catholic parishes in the Zakarpatska
      Oblast, including Chaslovci / Korytniany.

      RDC