Re: Canadian immigration

  • Kate Cullinane
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 1999
      Julie,

      This web site might be of some interest to you. It doesn't really describe
      the process but you might find your ancestors on it.
      http://www.archives.ca/exec/naweb.dll?fs&020111&e&top&0

      Basically, as I understand it, agents of the government went to the States
      and other countries to encourage immigrants to settle in the Canadian West.
      Raw land was available for about $10.00 a quarter section (160 acres) with
      some conditions about clearing, cultivating, etc.

      I was just at a seminar where the speaker talked about this a bit and I have
      some references to published works that might give you more information. If
      you're interested, let me know.

      Kate Cullinane
      Kamloops, BC, Canada
      cullinan@...

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 1999
        Hi Julie,

        What Kate wrote sounds like what I heard from my great-aunt Fritzi. She
        emigrated from Czech. into Canada and had a real struggle there the first
        few years. She said they were too poor to buy farm equipment so several
        families used a communal plow. I don't think they made any profit off the
        land, just managed to survive. So in answer to your question, I got the
        information from a live witness who is still live and well at the age of 73.
        I could write her via snail mail and ask her for more info if what Kate gave
        you isn't enough.

        Jenny

        P.S. Sorry for sending the entire list last time-Thanks, Ron, for pointing
        that out.