Re: [S-R] ] Re: GAPKO/RAPANT

  • Ron Matviyak
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2002
      Darn, zeros are important! I meant to type in "250" in place of the '25".

      I was in a hurry and know the directions are sketchy, but did not expect to
      pull that mistake!

      http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB/
      Ellis Island Database (Short Form)
      go down to "Town Name"
      Leave "Start Search at " "1"
      Change "Hits/Page" to "250" (to be optimistic)

      So far I have a different spread sheet for each spelling variation of the
      village. Using the "sounds like" option returns too many foreign villages
      for me to sort through. It is interesting to see how different families and
      groups tended to spell the village name differently, even in the same years.
      It is also to see who traveled together - this could be a source for future
      information exchange between people researching different families,
      families who may have lost touch and left different stories of the trip(s)
      to America.

      Ron