Re: Ships & comments

  • Alice
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
      Thanks Maura for the info, however, I must tell you that I was on a 'ships list'
      about a year or so ago when I was researching the other side of the family and they
      did lookups for anyone who asked, it was a matter of pride with them and perhaps a
      little competition on who could come up with the answer the quickest. The result was
      they found two of the ships we were looking for, and then, I was able to order the
      films and look at the manifest and photocopy it for posterity. Darn, I wish I could
      remember that URL. I have had nothing but positive results with my dealings with
      them, they were wonderful. So never say never!
      Alice
      PS: regarding the ongoing discussion re emigration patterns and the history behind it
      has been most enlightening. I have learned so much, thank you all.
      Alice

    • sabinov@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 24, 1999
        Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
        certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
        in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

        And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
        verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
        Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
        those who put the books together.

        By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
        begin with http)

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Maura Petzolt Mobile Alabama USA
        sabinov@...
        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Alice
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 25, 1999
          Thanks for your response Maura.

          Message: 7
          Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 16:56:53 -0500 (CDT)
          From: sabinov@... (Maura Petzolt)
          Subject: Re: Re: Ships & comments

          Again, if anyone does lookups on ships it's in CDs or books, they
          certainly can't take the time to search actual records, i.e. if its not
          in a book or on a CD they won't find it.

          I never meant to infer that they did anything other than look up ships
          in reference books or CDs. I would never expect them to search actual
          records for me.

          And if they do find something, you should do exactly what you did --
          verify it. Most indexes, especially _Germans to America_ and _Famine
          Immigrants_ are full of ommissions and errors, and that is according to
          those who put the books together.

          Another bit of information that I found in my research of ship's
          manifests is that sometimes the parents register their children as being
          a few years younger than they truly are in order to avoid paying full
          fare.

          By the way, mailing lists have addresses, webpages have urls (which
          begin with http)

          Oops! I guess I slipped up there. I suppose I am trying to do too much
          at one time - as usual. But thanks for the reminder anyway.

          BTW, I agree with Andy V. to use the name as used and spelled in the
          particular language of the person. You can always make note in your
          research notes of the Latin and Hungarian, etc. spelling. Keep it
          simple I always say and you can't go wrong.
          Alice