Re: [S-R] Carpatho Rusyn Villages

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 24, 2002
      The feudal system was the social, religious and economic system under
      which our Rusyn ancestors lived. Summarizing the pecking oder, one
      started with the king at the top followed by noblemen, tradesmen and
      finally serfs at the bottom. Most GC priests worked along side of the
      peasants in the fields until the mid-1800's when they began to
      receive some payment from the state or landowner and were allowed to
      receive some formal education.

      Serfs were tied to the land and had very limited rights of movement
      unless they received approval from their landowner. They were
      obligated to work a portion of every week for the landowner plus
      having to turn over a portion of their work product (food, goods,
      etc) as well to the state, landowner or others. Not a very pleasant
      life for the general person in the area and a prime reason for the
      mass exodus in the late- 1800's. All of my family were either labeled
      as Coloni (tenant farmers) or Sub-Inquil (sub-tenants) in church
      records.