Re: [S-R] Carpatho Rusyn Villages

  • McKee June
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2002
      Primarily. Approximately two thirds now I believe
      (much smaller area since
      1918). It depends on what areas of the Kingdom you
      were talking about. In
      some areas they were Greek Catholic or Orthodox
      (eastern counties) and
      other areas also had Reformed and Evangelical.

      they were from Munkacs and Presov. I know that my
      grandmother from Munkacs was RC at least when she got
      to the US but I am not sure about my grandfather.

      June

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
    • McKee June
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2002
        Maria Teresa had dictated that all of her subjects
        convert to Roman
        Catholic. Most of the serfs in the northeastern part
        of the emplire
        were GC. There was a policy to convert the non-RC from
        her day right
        up to the present. The same goes for the drive to kill
        the notion of
        a Rusyn culture in the area. This pressure on the
        Rusyn identity can
        still be seen by the way census data is worded and
        manipulated.

        I really feel stupid, but could you tell me what the
        serfs were? I have not been digging into my familys
        history for very long and there alot of phrases that I
        am not familiar with. I really do appreciate all of
        the help that I have been getting.

        thanks

        June

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
      • squinch42
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 24, 2002
          The feudal system was the social, religious and economic system under
          which our Rusyn ancestors lived. Summarizing the pecking oder, one
          started with the king at the top followed by noblemen, tradesmen and
          finally serfs at the bottom. Most GC priests worked along side of the
          peasants in the fields until the mid-1800's when they began to
          receive some payment from the state or landowner and were allowed to
          receive some formal education.

          Serfs were tied to the land and had very limited rights of movement
          unless they received approval from their landowner. They were
          obligated to work a portion of every week for the landowner plus
          having to turn over a portion of their work product (food, goods,
          etc) as well to the state, landowner or others. Not a very pleasant
          life for the general person in the area and a prime reason for the
          mass exodus in the late- 1800's. All of my family were either labeled
          as Coloni (tenant farmers) or Sub-Inquil (sub-tenants) in church
          records.