Re: [S-R] Carpatho Rusyn Villages

  • squinch42
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 23, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., McKee June <junemckee@y...> wrote:
      > were the Hungarians Roman Cathloic?
      >
      > June

      > http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

      Maria Teresa had dictated that all of her subjects convert to Roman
      Catholic. Most of the serfs in the northeastern part of the emplire
      were GC. There was a policy to convert the non-RC from her day right
      up to the present. The same goes for the drive to kill the notion of
      a Rusyn culture in the area. This pressure on the Rusyn identity can
      still be seen by the way census data is worded and manipulated.
    • McKee June
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 23, 2002
        Primarily. Approximately two thirds now I believe
        (much smaller area since
        1918). It depends on what areas of the Kingdom you
        were talking about. In
        some areas they were Greek Catholic or Orthodox
        (eastern counties) and
        other areas also had Reformed and Evangelical.

        they were from Munkacs and Presov. I know that my
        grandmother from Munkacs was RC at least when she got
        to the US but I am not sure about my grandfather.

        June

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
      • McKee June
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 23, 2002
          Maria Teresa had dictated that all of her subjects
          convert to Roman
          Catholic. Most of the serfs in the northeastern part
          of the emplire
          were GC. There was a policy to convert the non-RC from
          her day right
          up to the present. The same goes for the drive to kill
          the notion of
          a Rusyn culture in the area. This pressure on the
          Rusyn identity can
          still be seen by the way census data is worded and
          manipulated.

          I really feel stupid, but could you tell me what the
          serfs were? I have not been digging into my familys
          history for very long and there alot of phrases that I
          am not familiar with. I really do appreciate all of
          the help that I have been getting.

          thanks

          June

          http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
        • squinch42
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 24, 2002
            The feudal system was the social, religious and economic system under
            which our Rusyn ancestors lived. Summarizing the pecking oder, one
            started with the king at the top followed by noblemen, tradesmen and
            finally serfs at the bottom. Most GC priests worked along side of the
            peasants in the fields until the mid-1800's when they began to
            receive some payment from the state or landowner and were allowed to
            receive some formal education.

            Serfs were tied to the land and had very limited rights of movement
            unless they received approval from their landowner. They were
            obligated to work a portion of every week for the landowner plus
            having to turn over a portion of their work product (food, goods,
            etc) as well to the state, landowner or others. Not a very pleasant
            life for the general person in the area and a prime reason for the
            mass exodus in the late- 1800's. All of my family were either labeled
            as Coloni (tenant farmers) or Sub-Inquil (sub-tenants) in church
            records.