Re: ORLOV Relatives

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 20, 2002
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
      > Andrejovka (Sk) appears on the maps produced by Expedia.com as
      nearly
      > due east of Orlov. The map implies the only road leading to it
      passes
      > through Orlov.
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Paul Stagen" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
      > > > I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning
      > from
      > > 1839 to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit
      > > Slovakia next summer and visit several places where I have roots.
      > Can
      > > someone advise me if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO
      > surnames
      > > either in Orlov or Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married
      > into
      > > the KURUTZ, BFAS and HRABAVAK families - all of which were in
      Orlov
      > at
      > > that time.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks
      --------------
      Church records

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers (1743-1895)
      for Orlov, Slovakia, formerly Orló, Sáros megye, Hungary.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
      These also include the G.C. parish church records for Andrejovka and
      Plavec^.

      Early in the 15th c the 16 towns in northern S^pis^ region (including
      Stará L'ubovn^a (S) O'lubló (H) and Vel'ké Sulín - were mortgaged
      to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

      Maly' Sulín (Slovak) Szulin (H) was established in 1600. It was part
      of the property of his lordship Plavec^ * and his own Croatian
      nobility, who had established the neighboring village of Vel'ké Sulín
      (S) at the end of the 16th century.

      Towns of Plavnica and Plavec^ were also part of the property of the
      Croatian nobility.
      * Plavnica, Plavec^ and nearby Plavec^ castle (Plavec^sky' hrad)

      The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1743-1895) for
      Plavec^.
      Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak.
      These also include the R.C. parish church records for Andrejovka,
      Orlov, and Maly' Sulin.