Re: Canadian immigration

  • J. Michutka
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 24, 1999
      At 08:06 AM 10/24/99 -0700, you wrote:
      >From: "Jenny Brichta" <yump@...>

      >They may have gone to Canada for a land deal that the Canadian govt was
      >offering at the time. To encourage immigration, land was offered for very
      >low cost IF the family could survive there for a certain number of years and
      >farm the land.

      This would make sense; supposedly it was my grandfather's dream to have his
      own farm. When they later moved to Michigan, they did become a farming
      family, but always tenants, never owners. Never climbed out of poverty.

      On the other hand, all 8 of their children survived to adulthood, growing
      up the the USA; I've been going through the parish records in the village
      they came from, and fully one-half of the children died before the age of 5.

      May I ask what your source of info about the Canadian land deal is, and
      whether there are any records that can be checked?

      Thanks for your note--this may be our answer to a very old family question!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...

    • Kate Cullinane
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 1999
        Julie,

        This web site might be of some interest to you. It doesn't really describe
        the process but you might find your ancestors on it.
        http://www.archives.ca/exec/naweb.dll?fs&020111&e&top&0

        Basically, as I understand it, agents of the government went to the States
        and other countries to encourage immigrants to settle in the Canadian West.
        Raw land was available for about $10.00 a quarter section (160 acres) with
        some conditions about clearing, cultivating, etc.

        I was just at a seminar where the speaker talked about this a bit and I have
        some references to published works that might give you more information. If
        you're interested, let me know.

        Kate Cullinane
        Kamloops, BC, Canada
        cullinan@...

        >>They may have gone to Canada for a land deal that the Canadian govt was
        >>offering at the time. To encourage immigration, land was offered for very
        >>low cost IF the family could survive there for a certain number of years
        and
        >>farm the land.
        >
        >This would make sense; supposedly it was my grandfather's dream to have his
        >own farm. When they later moved to Michigan, they did become a farming
        >family, but always tenants, never owners. Never climbed out of poverty.
        >
        >On the other hand, all 8 of their children survived to adulthood, growing
        >up the the USA; I've been going through the parish records in the village
        >they came from, and fully one-half of the children died before the age of
        5.

        >May I ask what your source of info about the Canadian land deal is, and
        >whether there are any records that can be checked?
        >
        >Thanks for your note--this may be our answer to a very old family question!
        >
        >Julie Michutka
        >jmm@...

      • Jenny Brichta
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 1999
          Hi Julie,

          What Kate wrote sounds like what I heard from my great-aunt Fritzi. She
          emigrated from Czech. into Canada and had a real struggle there the first
          few years. She said they were too poor to buy farm equipment so several
          families used a communal plow. I don't think they made any profit off the
          land, just managed to survive. So in answer to your question, I got the
          information from a live witness who is still live and well at the age of 73.
          I could write her via snail mail and ask her for more info if what Kate gave
          you isn't enough.

          Jenny

          P.S. Sorry for sending the entire list last time-Thanks, Ron, for pointing
          that out.