ORLOV Relatives

  • Paul Stagen
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 19, 2002
      I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning from 1839 to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit Slovakia next summer and visit several places where I have roots. Can someone advise me if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO surnames either in Orlov or Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married into the KURUTZ, BFAS and HRABAVAK families - all of which were in Orlov at that time.

      Thanks

    • John M,
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 19, 2002
        At 09:14 PM 10/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:
        >I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning from 1839
        >to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit Slovakia next
        >summer and visit several places where I have roots. Can someone advise me
        >if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO surnames either in Orlov or
        >Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married into the KURUTZ, BFAS and
        >HRABAVAK families - all of which were in Orlov at that time.
        >
        >Thanks

        In Orlov: http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html

        Mária Timocková Orlov

        Ján Kuruc Orlov
        Margita Kurucová Orlov
        Mária Kurucová Orlov

        I couldn't find any in Andrejovka or C^irc^

        John
      • Frank
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 20, 2002
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Paul Stagen" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
          > I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning from
          1839 to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit
          Slovakia next summer and visit several places where I have roots. Can
          someone advise me if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO surnames
          either in Orlov or Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married into
          the KURUTZ, BFAS and HRABAVAK families - all of which were in Orlov at
          that time.

          > Thanks

          There is some confusion as to which village ?

          Orlov (Sk) Orló (H) is located SSE of U'dol and east of
          Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk) O'buló (H) , Slovakia.
          Formerly located in Sáros megye (county), Hungary.

          Andrejovka (Sk) Ondód (H) was located east of Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk)
          O'buló (H) and NNE of Orlov (Sk) Orló (H) , Slovakia.
          Formerly it was located in Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
          It was a Carpatho-Rusyn village which no longer exists.

          And Andrivka/Andrejivka/Andrzejówka was formerly located in
          Austrian-Poland (Polish Galicia) now in SE Poland just across the
          current Slovakia border.
          It was a Carpath-Rusyn village.

          And Andrasóc/Andras^ovci/Andrásháza/Andrijivka/Andriivka was formerly
          located in Ung megye (county), Hungary.
          Now located in the Ukraine.
          It was a Carpatho-Rusyn village.
          There are a dozen or so place names Andriivka located in the Ukraine.
          All these names would be written in Ukrainian Cyrillic.
          . .
          A H /| P I I B K A (Cyrillic)

          A N D R yee V K A
        • squinch42
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 20, 2002
            Andrejovka (Sk) appears on the maps produced by Expedia.com as nearly
            due east of Orlov. The map implies the only road leading to it passes
            through Orlov.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Paul Stagen" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
            > > I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning
            from
            > 1839 to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit
            > Slovakia next summer and visit several places where I have roots.
            Can
            > someone advise me if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO
            surnames
            > either in Orlov or Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married
            into
            > the KURUTZ, BFAS and HRABAVAK families - all of which were in Orlov
            at
            > that time.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            >
            > There is some confusion as to which village ?
            >
            > Orlov (Sk) Orló (H) is located SSE of U'dol and east of
            > Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk) O'buló (H) , Slovakia.
            > Formerly located in Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
            >
            > Andrejovka (Sk) Ondód (H) was located east of Stará L'ubovn^a (Sk)
            > O'buló (H) and NNE of Orlov (Sk) Orló (H) , Slovakia.
            > Formerly it was located in Sáros megye (county), Hungary.
            > It was a Carpatho-Rusyn village which no longer exists.
            >
            > And Andrivka/Andrejivka/Andrzejówka was formerly located in
            > Austrian-Poland (Polish Galicia) now in SE Poland just across the
            > current Slovakia border.
            > It was a Carpath-Rusyn village.
            >
            > And Andrasóc/Andras^ovci/Andrásháza/Andrijivka/Andriivka was
            formerly
            > located in Ung megye (county), Hungary.
            > Now located in the Ukraine.
            > It was a Carpatho-Rusyn village.
            > There are a dozen or so place names Andriivka located in the
            Ukraine.
            > All these names would be written in Ukrainian Cyrillic.
            > . .
            > A H /| P I I B K A (Cyrillic)
            >
            > A N D R yee V K A
          • squinch42
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 20, 2002
              Thanks for your help. I shall try to connact these people before I go
              there. They could belong to any of three branches of the family.

              Paul

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "John M," <jmatsko4@c...> wrote:
              > At 09:14 PM 10/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:
              > >I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning
              from 1839
              > >to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit
              Slovakia next
              > >summer and visit several places where I have roots. Can someone
              advise me
              > >if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO surnames either in
              Orlov or
              > >Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married into the KURUTZ,
              BFAS and
              > >HRABAVAK families - all of which were in Orlov at that time.
              > >
              > >Thanks
              >
              > In Orlov: http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html
              >
              > Mária Timocková Orlov
              >
              > Ján Kuruc Orlov
              > Margita Kurucová Orlov
              > Mária Kurucová Orlov
              >
              > I couldn't find any in Andrejovka or C^irc^
              >
              > John
            • Frank
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 20, 2002
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "squinch42" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
                > Andrejovka (Sk) appears on the maps produced by Expedia.com as
                nearly
                > due east of Orlov. The map implies the only road leading to it
                passes
                > through Orlov.
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Frank" <frankur@a...> wrote:
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Paul Stagen" <vpfezziwig@m...> wrote:
                > > > I have used the LDS films to find relatives in Orlov beginning
                > from
                > > 1839 to 1895 when the films stop recording data. I hope to visit
                > > Slovakia next summer and visit several places where I have roots.
                > Can
                > > someone advise me if there still are any STEGENA or TIMOCSKO
                > surnames
                > > either in Orlov or Andrejovka? Sisters of my grandfather married
                > into
                > > the KURUTZ, BFAS and HRABAVAK families - all of which were in
                Orlov
                > at
                > > that time.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                --------------
                Church records

                The LDS-Mormons filmed the Greek Catholic parish registers (1743-1895)
                for Orlov, Slovakia, formerly Orló, Sáros megye, Hungary.
                Text in Latin, Hungarian and Ruthenian.
                These also include the G.C. parish church records for Andrejovka and
                Plavec^.

                Early in the 15th c the 16 towns in northern S^pis^ region (including
                Stará L'ubovn^a (S) O'lubló (H) and Vel'ké Sulín - were mortgaged
                to Poland, under whose rule they remained 1412-1772.

                Maly' Sulín (Slovak) Szulin (H) was established in 1600. It was part
                of the property of his lordship Plavec^ * and his own Croatian
                nobility, who had established the neighboring village of Vel'ké Sulín
                (S) at the end of the 16th century.

                Towns of Plavnica and Plavec^ were also part of the property of the
                Croatian nobility.
                * Plavnica, Plavec^ and nearby Plavec^ castle (Plavec^sky' hrad)

                The LDS-Mormons filmed the R.C. parish church records (1743-1895) for
                Plavec^.
                Text in Latin, Hungarian, and Slovak.
                These also include the R.C. parish church records for Andrejovka,
                Orlov, and Maly' Sulin.