Early Slovak records - Was: [S-R] Jakubec Family help

  • Ron Rafajko
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 17, 2002
      What are the earliest known Slovak genealogy records? Did the 624 A.D. date start any record keeping?

      ~Ron Rafajko
      American Fork, Utah

      >>> frankur@... 10/17/2002 7:17:07 AM >>>
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "Konekta" wrote:
      > I just like to add, that both, personal names and place names, in
      use among ordinary people, were slovak.
      > Only for the official use, these names were in hungarian.
      > I see no good reason to continue with magyarisation now, so I always
      use the slovak spelling for slovak names.
      > Only when researching Ellis Island records, one has to take account
      of this.
      > If a person named Stefan Krajci was coming from the Austrian part of
      the empire, his name was Stefan or Stephan Krajci. But, if he was
      coming from the hungarian part, he was Istvan Krajcsi.
      > Of course, in the Church Records, we find names in all variations;
      slovak, latin, hungarian and german.
      > But, Slovaks were always Slovaks.
      > Although, this term is a very wide one.
      > The current population of Slovakia are descendants of;
      > ancient Slovaks or Slavs, Germans, Czech,Poles, Jews,Russians,
      Rusyns,Ukrainians, Romanians, Hungarians,Gipsies, Croats,
      Serbs,Swiss,British, Italian, French,(and one Slovene) to name just
      the most important ones.
      > I have seen records of all those ethnics in the old Church Records.
      > The common denominator for most of them (not all), that found
      themselves on the territory of present Slovakia (there was a lot of
      migration in all directions in all times), was the slovak language,
      that was adopted by those, who came from other places.Although, they
      were living in a hungarian state.
      > This was the base for the Slovak Nation. The language.
      > Now, to tell, who is an ethnic Slovak, and who not....., I haven't
      seen this yet.
      > So, Slovakia is as multi ethnic as US, in a way. What can we learn
      from US in this respect?
      > Well, sorry, it wasn't meant this way, but it turned out this way.
      > I find this quite a fascinating challenge.
      > Regards,
      > Vladimir

      You make a number of good points.
      But, it depends in which country the researcher is a resident.

      The Slovaks were the first nation to establish an independent state
      in Central Europe about 624 A.D.

      The territory of Slovakia was once ruled by Slovak Kings.
      The Czechs were under the rule of the Slovaks from about 889 A.D.
      to 894 A.D.
      In the 10th c the Slovak Kingdom was destroyed by an alliance of
      Magyars, Czechs and Germans.
      (The Czechs and the Magyars both deny that there were ever any Slovak
      kings or Slovak nation)
      Nevertheless, the Magyars ruled Slovakia from 906 A.D. to 1918 A.D.,
      nearly a thousand years !

      Most Americans use the LDS-Mormons microfilms of the parish church
      records to research their surnames.
      These were written in Latin and Hungarian.
      Sometimes in German or Ruthenian.
      (Usually only the film headers are written in Slovak)

      So regardless of the social reality, the place names and personal
      names tend to be in Hungarian.
      And in the emigrant ship manifests many Slovak first names/ surnames
      are listed under their Hungarian spellings rather than the Slovak
      versions (even after the introduction of diacritic letters to the
      Slovak language in the mid 1800s)

      Home Selling? Try Us!