russian transulation?

  • McKee June
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2002
      does anyone know russian and can tell me what the name
      ELAKENADA is in english. It is the first name on my
      g-grandmothers grave and I am curious what it is. I
      was under the impression that she had a different
      first name.

      thanks,
      june

      http://faith.yahoo.com
    • Frank
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 12, 2002
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., McKee June <junemckee@y...> wrote:
        > does anyone know russian and can tell me what the name
        > ELAKENADA is in english. It is the first name on my
        > g-grandmothers grave and I am curious what it is. I
        > was under the impression that she had a different
        > first name.
        >
        > thanks,
        > june

        If the name had been Russian or Ukrainian it would have been
        written E J| A K ..... in Cyrillic not Latin alphabet.
        What did the rest of her tombstone or grave marker read ?

        If she was naturalized after 1906 then there is an easy way
        to send e-mail to the appropritae regional NARA for her papers.
        What State was she a resident when naturalized ?

        Naturalization papers came in three flavors :

        1.Declaration of intention
        (name, age, occupation, personal description, date and place
        of birth, wife's name and her place of birth, present and last
        foreign address, vessel or ship sailed on and from what port of
        embarkation, port of arrival and date, signature)

        2.Petition for naturalization
        (data listed in 1. above plus marital status, children's name, and
        names of two witnesses)

        3.Record Certificate of Naturalization
        (this was the document which granted citizenship. Contains some
        items but not the details above). It was meant to be a sort of
        souvenir of the official proceedings.

        Any woman, between 1855-1922, automatically became a citizen when
        her husband was naturalized. Children under age of 16 as well..
        if between age 16-21 when immigrated to U.S. but required to wait
        until after 21st birthday. Wives after 1922 had to apply for their
        own naturalization.

        > http://faith.yahoo.com
      • McKee June
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2002
          my russian g-grandma would have come in to a port in
          the san francisco area possibly oakland. that is where
          they lived. I know if she was naturalized it would
          have been after 1906 and at she was not married then.
          My grandmother her daughter did become a citizen when
          she married a citizen. The grave says Elakenada
          Panamaroff. I know that she came over from Kazan
          Russia by way of china and hawaii to california.

          my hungarinan grandmother is the one which I have a
          picture of with a number at the bottom with a "c" at
          the end of it and I think it is her citizenship
          picture which they started doing in 1929.

          http://faith.yahoo.com