Re: [S-R] Kolina, Boldizar, John Bolga and Julia Gala

  • John M,
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
      At 07:21 AM 10/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
      >I find them in the united states but when I look at
      >the list of hungarian surnames kolina never comes up.
      >I was wondering if anyone knew if it is common in
      >europe or if it has been changed what it would have
      >been. I was also always told that my grandmothers
      >maiden name was boldizar but on her death certificate
      >her fathers name is bolga. why would that be?
      >
      >I have just really started to get into my search and
      >havent got very far.
      >
      >thanks
      >june

      I believe Kolina in Slovak or Rusyn could be translated as knee (koleno) or
      knees ( kolina ? ).

      John
    • McKee June
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
        thanks John for the info. do you know if there are
        very many Kolinas in slovak?

        http://faith.yahoo.com
      • John M,
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 10, 2002
          At 01:51 PM 10/10/2002 -0700, you wrote:
          >thanks John for the info. do you know if there are
          >very many Kolinas in slovak?

          Try Kolena using the Slovakia white
          pages http://www.zoznamst.sk/eng/index.html . I didn't have any luck
          with Kolina but there were Kolena, Kolenova, and Koleno in Bratislava and a
          few other towns. There are 30 Kolina and 27 Kolena in the Ellis Island
          database (EIDB). There are 12 Boldiz^ar (pronounced Boldizhar) listed in
          the Kosice online directory and 2 in Bratislava. There are 10 Boldizar
          listed in the EIDB. There are several Bolgac^ (pronounced Bolgach) in
          Bratislava but I didn't find Bolga in the few towns I looked at. There are
          6 Bolga in the EIDB. I found a few Gal'a (pronounced Galya) in
          Kosice. There are 323 Gala in the EIDB. Most are from Slovakia or Italy.

          John
        • McKee June
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 11, 2002
            thanks John I appreciate it. I have checked out in the
            past Kolina in the ellis island but none of which
            would be my family. Do you think there are records
            other than what can be acessed on-line? I know there
            have to be records somewhere but how to obtain them I
            am not too sure. I am trying to get my grandmothers
            naturalization papers but will see if anything becomes
            of it. I have an old picture of her with a number at
            the bottom of it and ends in a "c" reading I found
            that in 1929 they started taking pictures of the new
            citizens so I am hoping that It is that picture and
            maybe they will come back with papers! My grandfather
            is another story because I dont know if he came in at
            ellis island or not, could have been another port in
            new york, but pretty sure it was ny.

            thanks again
            june

            http://faith.yahoo.com
          • Konekta
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2002
              Dear June,
              I have a Bolga surname in my data base.Please, write me directly to konekta@...,sk
              Vladimir
              www.konekta.sk

              I find them in the united states but when I look at
              the list of hungarian surnames kolina never comes up.
              I was wondering if anyone knew if it is common in
              europe or if it has been changed what it would have
              been. I was also always told that my grandmothers
              maiden name was boldizar but on her death certificate
              her fathers name is bolga. why would that be?

              I have just really started to get into my search and
              havent got very far.

              thanks
              june

              I also havent found anything in ellis island so am
              trying to obtain records at this point from the INS.

              http://faith.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor